Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Does anyone have any advice on removing the side decal on a samurai? It was spraypainted by a vandal and when I have tried different methods of removing it, the ink comes off so I am thinking of trying to remove the entire decal. Will the paint come off as well underneath? This is the decal that runs the entire length of the samurai from the gastank to the headlights.

Car now won't start, gas cap was tampered with, they may have put water and/or sugar in the gas tank. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
686 Posts
If in doubt just give it a good flushing, especially if you know it was tampered with. You should be able to drop the plug and drain it without having to drop the tank. It could be they were trying to steal your fuel and never added anything but I'm cynical enough to assume the worst when it comes to the special sort of person that would tamper with someones car.

·
Registered
686 Posts
If there is a skidplate you would drop that (unless there is an access hole to the plug) and the drain plug should be right there on the bottom of the tank. I would drain it into a container, replace the plug and drop about a half gallon in and swish it around a bit by rocking the car a bit and drain it again, fill it up with fresh fuel and get a locking cap if they are available for Samurai.

If you cranked it over long enough to get tainted fuel into the line than maybe a good idea to pop the fuel line off and set it in a glass jar and turn it over a few times to flush the lines with the new fuel.

When it failed to start did you verify the presence of fuel and spark to the engine? It seems strange that tainting the fuel would prevent it from starting because you still have presumably fresh fuel in the carb and lines unless it sat forever with the tainted fuel. Could they have gotten under the hood to?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'm not sure if they got under the hood. I have to do a more thorough check. I don't know lot at all about the mechanics of the car unfortunately. The thing has run pretty damn smoothe since I bought it new way back then.

There is def. tons of fuel in the tank still.
Do you know if a heat gun would work in removie the large decal that runs the entire side of the Samurai as well?
Thank you again for your help.

Also, if there wasn't any tampering, could it be that the gas is old (it had been sitting for about 4 months) as well as a bad fuel filter? Last time I took it in, the mechanic said he couldn't find a fuel filter for it.
thanks again.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Do you know anyone that knows enough about cars to come and lend a hand with it? If it was running fine, then sat for 4 months and now wont even try to start it could be fuel. Almost any fuel you buy in the USA is going to be tainted with ethanol so I guess it might be possible. I think at 4 months it should still be ok, I wouldn't let it sit a year though.

Where I live it's not uncommon for rodents to nest underhood and gnaw through vac hoses and wire looms so if your comfortable looking under the hood for anything that is obviously amiss then I would start there. Anything unplugged or (unfortunately) missing.

What happens when you turn the key to start? what do you hear?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't seen any signs of rodent nests yet but the fuel filter itself is pretty damn old and the last tune up I had, the mechanic said he couldn't find me a new one.
When I turn the key to start, the car turns over, all the lights go on in the dash but doesn't start. It usually does.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
686 Posts
The fuel filter resides (I believe) on the rear passenger side of the frame. Low Range sells a kit to replace it.
Suzuki Samurai Fuel Filter Kit

There is almost certainly a Youtube video of it. It should probably be done but I'm not sure this is your problem. In my experience you would see some symptoms before it just cut off all fuel. I'm assuming now that your air filter is reasonably clean and your battery is fully charged. You are almost certainly missing fuel or spark for it not to even try to start while being turned over.

I'm not sure what your comfort level is with stuff like this, this is how I would proceed but I've been messing with cars for a lot of years. When I check for presence of fuel the first thing I do is remove the air breather assembly enough that I can look straight down the barrel of the carb and blip the throttle linkage with one hand while peering down the barrel with a pen light or something, as you move the throttle linkage you should be able to see and maybe even hear a small jet of fuel way down in there, even maybe see where its shiny and wet. You may have to prop the choke open with something to see inside. NEVER do this while anyone is behind the wheel. This would confirm presence of fuel. If fuel is present and your not sure if that fuel is bad then then a couple tablespoons of fresh fuel down the carb barrel and then try to start it and see if anything happens.

The way I check for spark is just to put my antiquated timing light on it but it can be done with a spare spark plug or a screwdriver, it's easier to watch a youtube video of someone checking for spark than to try and describe it here, youtube has some good stuff but some of it should be taken with a grain of salt, for checking for spark your going to want an extra set of hands.

Do you get any smell of raw fuel while your trying to start it, or any smoke from exhaust even though it's not starting? Does it even kick a little bit like it wants to start or is it just simply turning over? I dont see your location but if your in Western SD I can assist you in troubleshooting.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
we sprayed some starter fluid on it and it started and died right away. I am pumping the gas out now to see if there is any water in it. maybe the fuel filter and fuel pump are hooped?
thanks again, no I am up in Canada....

·
Registered
686 Posts
Good to know that, so somehow it's not getting fuel, or good fuel. Could you see if there was any fuel getting to the carb? Either the pump or filter can cause this. I would think even with water in the fuel it would be trying to start.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The fuel we syphoned out of the gastank was pretty clean but with water in it. The gas that came out of the hose that was hooked up to the carb was the colour of rootbeer.

·
Registered
686 Posts
That sounds pretty nasty. Did you refill with fresh gas and flush the lines? Is she running yet? I hope this is all it needs but I would still consider a new fuel filter at some point in the near future.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can't seem to get the gas tank off. Took the hose off the carburator, unhooked the sparkplugs and tried starting it to get more gas out and it was the colour of medium roast coffee with a little crem in it. it got cloudy as we kept trying.

I will have to get it towed to a proper mechanic and have them clean out the gas tank and slap a fuel filter on I think. Would the sugar or water or coffee affect the fuel pump?

Thank you again for your help.

·
Registered
686 Posts
The fuel pump would still pump it, if you flush it and keep an eye on it I think the fuel pump will be ok. Was there no drainplug in the fuel tank?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts