Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I cant find a solid answer to this anywhere online. My car is in my signature.

It is my understanding that the condenser fan should only turn on if the ac compressor is on OR if the car thinks it is overheating. Mine spins at max speed when the compressor is on, yep. As a second test, if I have the ac compressor off but unplug the sensor under the thermostat, it ramps in speed. Seems to work as intended, however

With the compressor off, the fan still spins, just slowly. When I start my car it spins probably 20% of its "normal" speed. It is never completely still. Just trying to figure out if this could indicate a problem or if its supposed to do this. I have the relevant wiring diagram, but didnt want to go chasing something that isnt an issue. I have no other problems with the car. Just figured if the above rules are accurate, maybe the car thinks its overheating when it isnt?

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,517 Posts
I have no comment on your issue, but some vehicles exhibit such behaviour when there is a comms issue, have you run a code scan ?

·
Registered
10,410 Posts
When its spinning at 20% speed is it actually being driven at that speed? Its possible theres a high resistance in a relay contact or wiring allowing enough current to flow that the fan will spin lazily

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have no comment on your issue, but some vehicles exhibit such behaviour when there is a comms issue, have you run a code scan ?
OBD1 and Rhinoman wont respond to me about selling me a scanner.

When its spinning at 20% speed is it actually being driven at that speed? Its possible theres a high resistance in a relay contact or wiring allowing enough current to flow that the fan will spin lazily
I just noticed it a day ago so I havent done any poking around, but I did notice the speed seems to vary. When the car starts its spinning so slowly that the blades dont even look blurry. After a few minutes it isnt at "normal" speed, but its starting to look like a blur. AC is off, fan is off, everything is off inside the car.

The wiring is the last thing on this car I have not fixed from the disaster that was the last owner. I've been putting it off because its some of the worst wiring I have ever seen. Harnesses totally cut in half and replaced all with a single color. Random connectors going nowhere, missing connectors, wires lazily twisted together. Ugh. Tomorrow I'll see if I can check the relays, AC amp, and the big things. I just dont want to go digging in this rats nest until I can be sure this is actually a problem. I ordered a temp sensor since it was like $3 and takes 2 seconds to switch out just in case thats causing it.

·
Administrator
16,665 Posts
Put a voltmeter on the fan connector and see if it's being powered, or spinning because the engine driven fan is moving enough air through it to turn it.

As far as I know. that fan is not a variable speed fan, it's either on or off, there's no in between.

Reactions: Bear95 and Bex

·
Super Moderator
25,704 Posts
Logically, I’d tend to follow Fordem’s advice….it’s very possible that the coolant fan is spinning enough to cause the condenser fan to move, and in order to check that, you should see if the condenser fan is actually getting voltage or not.

By the way, you will find it next to impossible to get a scanner for your car. The program for the OBD1 scanner is on the internet…it’s the connecting cable that you purchase. Last I heard, Rhino no longer had this available. You may wan’t to check out TunerPro. They also provided the online OBD1 program, but I don’t know whether they sell the cable.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Logically, I’d tend to follow Fordem’s advice….it’s very possible that the coolant fan is spinning enough to cause the condenser fan to move, and in order to check that, you should see if the condenser fan is actually getting voltage or not.

By the way, you will find it next to impossible to get a scanner for your car. The program for the OBD1 scanner is on the internet…it’s the connecting cable that you purchase. Last I heard, Rhino no longer had this available. You may wan’t to check out TunerPro. They also provided the online OBD1 program, but I don’t know whether they sell the cable.
They only make the software. Rhinoman is the guy who made the ADX file for TunerPro. Without that it cant be used. Ever since he started charging for his hardware he took all of his Tunerpro files offline. Hes also taken down all the public "make it yourself" hardware documentation on his website. You pay him, or you figure it out on your own. Unfortunately he doesnt seem to ever have any to sell, so in reality hes just taken all hes done offline.

Rhinoman has stated that the GM OBD1.5 ALDL cable will give you spotty data and it isnt powere on pin 9? pin 2? Some pin that it needs power on. Basically you have to make your own or buy his if you want accurate data.

·
Super Moderator
25,704 Posts
I bought the cable from Rhino at least 10 years ago. I don’t know whether he ‘made’ the cable, although I doubt it as when the cable became unavailable, the sales stopped. Anyway, that is what I bought from him. The software program on the internet was free to download, and the TunerPro program worked off of that cable as well. I never saw any ‘make your own’ cable build info on his website, frankly. The software portion of this is still up on his forum:
But unless you have the cable you can’t use it.

·
Administrator
16,665 Posts
I never saw any ‘make it your own’ cable build info on his website, frankly.
This is my recollection as well - Rhinoman never offered "make it yourself" instructions - he did however, design and build interfaces, but the current worldwide semiconductor shortage (chipageddon) has forced him to halt production.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
He definitely did. Heres an archive of the schematic he published: Wayback Machine

The software is up on the forum, yes, but it is only able to communicate to the vehicle via the module he currently produces.

Older versions could use a regular ALDL cable, or they could use his "first gen" cable, which I believe was either his own make or a modified cable. Either one worked.

Now, versions that worked with a regular cable have been taken down. You can only find the ones that require you to buy his product. His forum has a lot of leftover discussion from when he was sharing schematics and build info for how to make your own, but he has taken down many of the important bits. The link above is an example of something that has been removed, but was grabbed by archive.org before he took it down.

There are a lot of threads on his forum about people being unable to connect after the updated version was released. He tells them "RhinoView is proprietary software and does not support third party interfaces. There is no option to select a com port because the software uses a true USB interface which is six times faster than a virtual com port." Can't get ALDL cable to work - RhinoPower Forum

Another old page: Serial Data Link

Finally, here is where he supplied files for Tunerpro so it could read Suzuki ECUs. The links are now dead as he took those down aswell. Suzuki Cars - TunerPro User Forum
For a while he moved these to his forum, but again, he took those down: RhinoPower Forum

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I dont know if tags work on this forum, but: @Rhinoman

Want to clear this up and sell me a module at the same time? How about one that got slightly damaged in transit and you wouldnt sell otherwise? Maybe one you werent planning to sell but would like to sell for the right price? Anything? Or instead, how about I pay you for all the stuff you removed from your website? I want to give you my money, please take it.

·
Super Moderator
25,704 Posts
His product ALWAYS was the hardware. It was the cables that you had to buy in order to interface with his scanning program. Yes, the program was proprietary, but the deal was that you bought the cable and were then able to download the program to a Windows computer. And his cables also interfaced with TunerPro. The link you are providing regarding the TunerPro was for remapping the actual ECU, AFAIK, and not anything to do with scanning.

·
Super Moderator
25,704 Posts
And I suspect you might have better luck trying to communicate with Rhino on his forum…???

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
His product ALWAYS was the hardware. It was the cables that you had to buy in order to interface with his scanning program.
Yeah. I know. Thats what I said. The only point of debate was whether he did or did not supply info so you could make your own. He always sold his own, but he once upon a time ALSO gave you the info to make your own. It isnt that big of an issue though

And I suspect you might have better luck trying to communicate with Rhino on his forum…???
Yep. Just figured we were talking about it anyway so may as well tag him.

Will try to get an update on the condenser fan today and pull the thread back on topic.

·
Super Moderator
25,704 Posts
No, he never gave instructions on how to build your own cables. There were two cables that you purchased, one that connected to the SDL connector, and one connecting into your USB port. I think TunerPro may have sold them as well. I don’t know if they still do.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts