Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanting to get my TPS calibrated. Took the car to a local shop and showed them the instructions I got from Fixkick. The manager there told me that he would not do it from the instructions I gave to them, and that he would do it his way. He also said that the process is no different from any other make of car. Is that true????

91 TBI 1.6 5spd

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Wanting to get my TPS calibrated. Took the car to a local shop and showed them the instructions I got from Fixkick. The manager there told me that he would not do it from the instructions I gave to them, and that he would do it his way. He also said that the process is no different from any other make of car. Is that true????

91 TBI 1.6 5spd
Friend, some mechanics, just like other human beings, have large egos, and don't need help/instruction/advice. Go elsewhere. If you need FSM instructions for calibrations, I can send them to you via pdf file scanned. PM me your email address, if you need the files. Good luck

·
Super Moderator
24,465 Posts
x2. The fixkick info comes from the factory service manual, and if your mechanic thinks that the FSM shouldn't be followed, then I would also go to another mechanic who would appreciate the factory info for the car. We have seen professional mechanics time this car incorrectly, etc., so just because someone is a mechanic doesn't necessarily mean that they are familiar with this car. And as Ranger says, ego can often be a problem. When I moved to Ireland, I bought the FSM, and any job that I have a mechanic do, I give him the FSM instructions - whether they follow it or not may be a different story, but I wouldn't go to a mechanic who refused to look at it, and wanted to do it 'his way'.
Funnily enough, while the procedure for our cars (8v vs 16v) is similar, there are differences (removing throttle opener on the 8v, and different feeler gauges needed for 8v or 16v) just within these cars. The calibration is really not one size fits all......

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I would print out the instructions from the FSM directly, a copy of an article from a badly written website won't inspire confidence. Does the shop have access to the information from a reputable source like Autodata?

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
..., and that he would do it his way. He also said that the process is no different from any other make of car....
Run away! All cars have "little differences" in how they work and need to be set up. No vehicle is exactly like any other. It would be nice if they were "all alike," we would only need one manual! :rolleyes:

In the mechanics defence and in general terms, be careful about any instructions you get from the Internet. A lot of it isn't worth what you pay for it. (nothing.) But some can be helpful. It is up to the READER (ie: you) to figure out if it is good or bad info.

Compare any instructions you find with what the factory gives in the FSM. (If you are going to keep any car you should get a FSM for it. Even if YOU are not going to do the work.) Any differences between instructions should be mostly in clarifying or work around for tools/equipment the normal owner doesn't have.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts