Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i installed a 2" body lift on my tracker lat week and this weekend while i was raising my bumper mounts i noticed some rust on both the front and rear cross members that hold the gas tank, The rear one has a 6-8" rust crack on the cross member while the rest of the pipe looks good, the front one has some rust as well, i didn't want to do anything to the rear one in case i made it worst, so my question is should i worry about this now or should i let it go a bit more before i fix it, as a temporary fix i sprayed some undercoating oild on the rear cross member to try and slow down the cancer. here are a few pictures to help you guys see what i'm dealling with.

Thanks

Kris

Front Cross member:

Rear (litle hard to see as the bumper cover is back on):

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody, figured all you that have replaced/repaired this would have so useful insight on this problem?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Myself,I like to at least keep up, fix it while you have something solid to weld to. That crack is going to let in wet dirt that will eat from the inside.

·
Registered
206 Posts
If you have access to a welder and the time to do it(that is the hard part for me) I will fix it now.
I plan on fixing mine this spring/summer when I remove the gas tank and weld in new crossmembers.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Mine is gone completely. When I do my annual under-body rust inspection..I will be welding in something to replace it.

·
Super Moderator
24,475 Posts
I don't weld - and would only weld my frame if I was really confident in my ability. I had the front crossmember at the gas tank replaced some time ago. I just had the rear one replaced last week. While my car is slowly succumbing to rust, the one thing I try to keep on top of is the frame. Personally, if you see holes, cracks and anything other than surface rust, I would replace it. The frame tends to rust from the inside to the outside, so if you see it on the outside, it needs to be attended to sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well i am going to get the rear one fixed, i do have a nice lincoln 140 mig welder but like Bex i don't think i trust myself welding something so important, as for the frint cross member do you guys think i should replace that ine as well? Doesn't look that bad but while i'm there and they have the gas tank removed it may be a good thing to get both done?

·
Super Moderator
24,475 Posts
Let's put it this way. At some point, you will have to replace the front one - as you are there now with the tank removed, there is no time like the present....;).

Now, just in case it comes up during your issue - the factory cross members are round tubes, which, at least here, are somewhat difficult to find. There is loads of research on the internet about the preference and strength of round vs square - particularly where weight is concerned, as the square crossmember, normally will weigh more in order to give equal strength and torsion, from what I understand. I had to go with the square crossmember, and, to be honest, have not noticed any difference. I do not do severe rock climbing or offroading, where the round crossmember may make a slight difference. Others here may have other info, but just wanted to give my experience.

·
Registered
529 Posts
The rear one's no biggie, it's straight, the front one has some interesting bends in it. but do they REALLY have to be there ?

·
Registered
987 Posts
I have seen the front on cut off and a piece of pipe pounded through and welded. I have also seen the pipe drove through the cross member without cutting the old out. I think their sole purpose is to support the tank. Some people use square stock to replace the round tube, that makes it easier to fasten the tank mounting brackets to it. On Sidekick I have here has a wooden dowel or broom handle drove through the centre. You do need something solid to hold the tank out or relocate it and use a fuel cell.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,255 Posts
You can use black iron pipe (gas/sprinkler) to replace the cross members, heavier than tubing, but may be easier to locate...

..... Philip

1 - 12 of 12 Posts