Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All -

I could use ya'll help again here...How much is this Sammy worth?

I have the opportunity to buy this rig here. Completely overhauled motor and transmission with only 1,000 miles on since conversion. All professionally done by a local suzuki/diesel shop I trust and has a good reputation in the area.

Planning on using this as daily driver, probably 30 miles mixed driving a day. But camping/surfing rig on the weekend for light trails and to take onto the beach.

Here are some pics and more detailed description:

Description:

Black with Black and Aluminum Checkerplate trim, 3 door, 5 speed, Stock Axel Ratio. ACME Adapter diesel conversion kit, 1.6 Turbo Diesel engine resealed in excellent shape (guaranteed good compression). Good body condition, minor dings, average shiney paint. 31 inch tires (25 percent tread) on 15 inch black spoke rims, standard spring over axel lift, crossover steering (two arms), professionally bedlined. Acme heavy duty Kevlar clutch kit, 27 inch radiator with high CFM ACME fan kit, Heavy duty oil cooler. Stock gauges with aftermarket tachometer, Black ABS door and rear panels, upgraded lumbar seats. 32 MPG with City driving.

Thanks as always, guys!

KaKai

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
17,582 Posts
How about...

Where are you located (affects price) and what are they asking for it? :huh:

My guess is that it is high $'s, in an effort to off-set the recent repair costs involved.

Have you test driven it?

The tire / lift package may not be the perfect DD (commuting, traffic, noise, gearing is stock w/tall tires. MPG 32??. May be a bit optimistic there). Not my cup of tea, but....

Re-geared (for off-road)...then maybe.

A/C? :)

·
Super Moderator
17,582 Posts
Is it subject to vehicle (emissions) testing there? IF so, get it "sniffed" first.

Inspect the underside for rust & rot. Bed liner will cover up a multitude of sins. ;)

Check for a clear title too. A Carfax report won't hurt either.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Max, it's been registered as a diesel vehicle and passes the test. I think tags are good for another couple years.

The shop (shop owned car) admitted there was a bit of rust, but they grinded it away and welded on new plates. Rust free now. Also has clean title, but carfax is a very good idea.

The body only had 90k on it before the conversion.

Max, any thoughts on value and worth?

Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
12,171 Posts
TEST DRIVE IT!!!

Personally I would hesitate to recommend a diesel conversion on a daily driven vehicle - it's been my experience that light diesel vehicles are sadly lacking in performance as compared to a gasolene engine of similar displacement. a turbo charged diesel is somewhat better, but not quite on par.

The diesels have low down grunt and excellent fuel consumption, but top end power is not there and that can create problems under certain conditions - worth noting - my experience has been on factory fitted diesels presumably with the gearing optimized for the engine, something which can be quite difficult to do with a conversion, making the problem even more likely.

Since this conversion has already been completed, test drive it and make sure you test it in the circumstances under which you will use it most - pay careful attention to the way it accelerates, the areas I have particular concern with are accelerating to merge into the traffic on a highway on ramp, and accelerating to overtake on a two lane blacktop (one lane in each direction)

·
Registered
23 Posts
nice!

wow, that is a real beauty!

i read somewhere about the diesel conversions too. i think fordem is right. i got this information off one of the samurai places like petroworks or samurai salvage. i can't remember...but it seems to back up what fordem says...

"VW Diesel – Uses the engine from a 19xx Rabbit, Scirocco, Jetta. A 1.6 or 1.9 TD motor is preferred. A number of other parts are also needed from a number of other diesel vehicles from the late 1970’s earl 1980’s. An adapter kit to mount the Samurai transmission to the motor, along with motor mounts is also needed.
Performance wise this is not a good swap. Fuel economy is not that much better, and top end speeds are generally no greater them with a stock motor. Where this motor shines is off road. The low end torque concurs all."

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, guys. Good points on both fronts.

I agree it'll lack top end power and considering I do have drive a bit on the freeway that's a major concern. My other option is to swap in a 1.6L 16v into my current Samurai. However, I'm just drawn towards diesels!

Diego, I think you're right. I couldn't have found a clean tin top and done as well of a conversion for less than $5k. I believe it's fair price.

Any other thoughts on diesel daily driving Sammies?

·
Registered
25 Posts
That paint has got to be repainted. It looks great though, I'd buy it and drive it for sure. I don't know about the price though maybe a little less? Try 8K 75?:D
I want to put a diesel in mine but I would go with a 1.9 because I want moooore powaaa. :D

32 mpg sounds nice. Surfboard ain't gonna fit inside unless you have a CI biscuit like me. :D
The racks that bolt on look like they will make the top rust so I wouldn't bolt a rack on it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
J11 - I like the 1.9 TD as well, but this will due for my immediate needs. Plus it's a very a clean Tin Top. :) Yeah, I also figured a surf board wouldn't fit inside. I've been looking at a CI biscuit, may go with a CI whip instead though.

You think a bolt on rack would really make the top rust?

Ebattleton - I'm flying back next week and already sent the owner a small check as a measure of good faith that I'm serious. I'll be test driving it next week and doing a walk around.

I'll keep ya'll update and post new pictures if I end up getting it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts