Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Shopping around, hoping for a Jimny 4x4 considering importing?
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Total newb here want to buy a Sammi or Jimny to tow behind RV. I think I would prefer to import a JDM but open to domestic. I don't need a show car, just dependable with few or no mods. Thanks!

·
Administrator
18,078 Posts
Think twice before buying any JDM vehicle - they are not built to US specifications & standards, they may have different engines, transmissions, etc., - parts & service documentation present challenges.

·
Registered
USA Spec'ed, Stock 1986 Samurai TinTop
70 Posts
Think twice before buying any JDM vehicle - they are not built to US specifications & standards, they may have different engines, transmissions, etc., - parts & service documentation present challenges.
Also might be hard to register for street use or even flat towing...
Butch

·
Administrator
18,078 Posts
Butch
This is actually a very good point - as far as I know neither the Jimny or the Samurai has a neutral position on the transfer case, and neither owner's manual addresses recreational towing, you might be better off with a Sidekick or Tracker

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have seen them used as toads but not as frequently as the Tracker/Vitara/Sidekick. I don't think it should pose a problem flat towing, at least the RV forums I belong to say it's fine but again, I'm here to listen and learn so I'll take everything under advisement.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is another issue along with insuring. I have located dealers who tell me they come with NC or Virginia titles depending on who you buy from.
Butch

·
Registered
70 Posts
This is another issue along with insuring. I have located dealers who tell me they come with NC or Virginia titles depending on who you buy from.
You might be able to do the "end-around" move, but more trouble than I care to do.... I met a guy that did something with one of the Dakotas to use his non-smogged Samurai in CA... I register mine in CA, and tow it without worries about the CHP or DMV...
Butch

·
Registered
70 Posts
This is actually a very good point - as far as I know neither the Jimny or the Samurai has a neutral position on the transfer case, and neither owner's manual addresses recreational towing, you might be better off with a Sidekick or Tracker
There is a neutral position on the Samurai and my owners manual does address it... I know nothing about the Jimny...

·
Administrator
18,078 Posts
You are correct on the Samurai, I skimmed the owner's manual & missed it - thanks for catching my slip.

My Jimny (a 2021 JB74) does not have a neutral in the transfer case, and as far as I know, neither does the SN series of Jimny.

·
Registered
70 Posts
No problem... I've missed many things more obvious than that....
Butch

1 - 10 of 10 Posts