Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a shocking problem on the way home from the fire station yesterday. My throttle cable broke at the carb. It was pretty obvious what had happened. It was running perfect, but lost all control of accelerator. When I found a piece of speaker wire by the road, I was McGivering it and the throttle wire sparked in the linkage and burned my finger. I was able to limp home on the speaker wire. I am guessing that there is a wire shorting on the wire or the carb. Does any one have a thought on a place to start.

I have other electrical symptoms. While accelerating the headlights dim and brighten when i let off the pedal. Temp guage shows hot, but only when I use the head lights. If I turn them off it returns to norm. No signs of overheat. i hope this is a challange to some one. It is over my head. I have almost completed my rebuilb pics pending.......thanks
bwscottlk

·
Super Moderator
12,340 Posts
There should be a heavy gauge ground wire between the engine/transmission and the chassis or battery negative - it's usually somewhere in the vicinity of the starter motor, bell housing area - yours is probably missing.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
The ground on a Samurai has always been a common problem. When corrosion or a broken wire threatens the loss of ground connection, both the throttle cable and the clutch cable turn into ground connections. This is one of the reasons a clutch cable housing will fail. It heats up from the power running through it and the plastic insulation gets soft enough for the cable to collapse on itself. Push in the clutch - and... nothing.

I have always just added a secondary ground by running a ground strap from a starter bolt (at the trans) directly to the frame near the trans crossmember (removable rod)is bolted in.

;)

·
Registered
193 Posts
There's a short, smaller black chassis ground wire from the battery (-) to a nearby screw on the firewall. If you lose this ground, the battery current will find its way back to the battery (-) through the clutch & throttle cables, or any other available conductive path. Adding a flexible ground wire/braid from near the starter (-) to the chassis avoids the mysterious and unfortunate symptoms you are experiencing. Once you get the grounds sorted out you may want to consider replacing, or at least checking, these cables to prevent an inconvenient field failure [I once broke a throttle cable in Death Valley -- not a place you want to be walking out of].

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have always just added a secondary ground by running a ground strap from a starter bolt (at the trans) directly to the frame near the trans crossmember (removable rod)is bolted in.
;)
Hi Bill!

I've heard about the grounding problem from some other people and have always wondered what the proper solution would be. Yours sounds like a good one... would you happen to have pics to show the solution?

I have a good idea based on your description... just want to be sure.:p

Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts