Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, i bought an SPOA kit from LROR that comes with shocks but i need to specify which size i need, now im also going up more with 3" lift springs at the same time and already sitting on 3" extended shackles with 2" bodylift. Im trying to figure out the shock sizes without even having anything to measure off of as far as closed to open travel and the LROR guy i think is confused on what im trying to say. They recommend a 32.00" fully open/18.50" closed with the SPOA paired with the YJ spring swap. but YJ swaps i heard are atleast 2.5" lift i will be at 3" springs. But he told me the 32.00/18.50 will still be too long? If any1 on here has similar lift as far as SPOA + 3" springs let me know asap please, i cant receive my order without the shock size, and i dont know if theyll accept exchanges if they dont fit?
P.S. the SPOA kit is a full weld on kit, full contact saddles, with upper shock hoops, weld on lower shock mounts and upper rear mount.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Ford F-250 92-97 are 32x18 . With the long travel kit LROR is providing you will be fine.
That's what I have always run with the Yj swaps.
JMBA. Loose the extended shackles. And if you need the 3" spring lift, go YJ conversion with a 3" lift spring. The extra length of the YJ's will work much better.
Sounds like you are starting a very expensive conversion...... Tire greed?????

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thnx, yea expensive indeed, just finding the time to do it is the real problem, i finally got the rear pads installed and welded just this past weekend, now the real problem is finding out which way is the correct way to mount the rear shocks. ATM im just trying to mock it up. i know the 'V' pattern concept but the "mount the lower shock mount to the rear of the axle" part is giving me a rough time. The upper mount i think is too far forward, the mount is the sky upper mount, which is just flat bar with 6 holes and 2 mounting sleeves. If i turn the actual shock bolt to the rear it will interfere with the gas tank? o_O as well as the axle mount interfering with the E-brake cable. Kinda lost here on these things.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I used the spidertrax shock relocator which is a similar system except that it's about 1.5" wide. I mounted my shock tabs on the rear of the axle housing right next to the leaf spring pad. Using the f-250 shocks I had no problems and am using the outer most hole on the relocator. I don't get too much roll in cornering driving on the road and works great as far as articulation is concerned.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
see there lies my problem, the forward to rear mounting...my upper mount leans low just a tad, and if i go to mount the shocks the shock tube collides with either the axle tube or the ebrake line and if its under the axle tube theres no way in hell the shock will mount to it. and just as comparison i tried positioning the lower mount to the front of the tube but the upper had too much angle not allowing it to even slide on this way. i wanna go with the lower mounts in the upper rear of the tube but have no idea how to get it to fit with the new shocks. i even tried upside down shocks and still no go, its almost like the entire axle or upper mount needs to move. cant move the axle forward cuz of clearance and i have tried both ways of the upper mount. only other option is to bolt the shocks backwards in between the gas tank and the mount. hope im not being confusing would take a pic but no camera

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well, maybe it works for me because I did a rear disc brake conversion and the ebrake cable is not an issue. But I believe it didn't interfere even before I went to rear discs. Let me know if pix of mine would be of any help. Although it sounds like you have went thru all your options. Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i got the front up now, im guessing since it was lifted in the rear and not the front it cocked the angle on it but not it clears since it's level just still havent mounted the shocks just yet

·
Registered
6 Posts
That looks real good! I have a set up similar to yours with a Tough Country YJ conversion with stock YJ springs. I have Rancho air adjustable RS9012 that are mounted upside down. These shocks are 32.91 extended and 18.94 compressed. I have welded on shock pads about 4 in. below on the bottom rear on the inside of the rear leafs that "V" mounts to up above. No problems clearing with the gas tank which is a Petrowski 15 gal. I did have to revamp the exhaust a little.

Up front same shock is also upside down but not, "hoops" but rather a, " welded on tower" right up to the tip top of the wheel well. The body was not raised above the frame.

To re-visit the shock issue. My shocks have been discontinued their new shock that is modified for a Sammy like ours is :Rancho RS9000X Pro Series Extended Shock Absorber 32.25" / 19.3 Eye / Eye. These should fit. Part # RS19012. The are around $200 per. The are adjustable and can be tuned at the shock or with the, "My Ride" remote. (I do not recommend) The old style mini compressor together with mounting the shock "upside down" on the stable (body/frame) side of the vehicle eliminated the "leaking" problems Rancho had with this system with keeping the system air tight.

Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to sell the "Rancho" brand. I have a Isuzu Vehicross that I installed the Rancho system from my good fortune with the Sammy, but I could not get the shock and pressurizing air lines on the, "frame side" of the car so I was forced to mount the shock the way they designed it! Which is WRONG!! Those air lines on the active side of the suspension will sooner or later start to leak from all the shaking that side of the shock absorber gets. 1 1/2 years later I removed them got a refund.

As to the Tough Country? Can't recommend them either. Nuts and bolts missing from the kit, but the worst part is some of the stuff just doesn't fit well. Yeah it works but its a war getting it to work. When I called them to send me parts they forgot to include in the kit, they gave me a bunch of crap and told me I should take it to shop if I don't know what I'm doing. I blew it!! I told him that "I" am a "Shop" you Weeny! And I have 5 other guys here that think your instructions pretty much, ' suck" too. He backed off and apologized and admitted his instructions are embarrassing, but I can only wonder if this intimidation after the sale is their, pattern to berate lesser qualified consumers?

Anyway, I hope I helped you a little bit...Good luck!

John

1 - 11 of 11 Posts