Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting very severe shaking of the front of my 2005 Jimny from washboard (or corrugations). I've got road tyres, the suspension is as standard and I mainly drive on highway or gravel roads, which are often in pretty bad shape from heavy traffic. The tyres are at normal pressure and I've recently replaced the front tyres due to wear, with no effect. The effect is worse under braking (as in pretty damn scary), but there is no shaking of the brake pedal. I normally would say the front shocks need replacing, but despite Jimny's being pretty common hereabouts local parts suppliers are surprised by anyone looking for these shocks as they don't seem to need replacing. Am I barking up the wrong tree?

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
Struts would be a good palce to start, along with checking all joints and bushings...

... Philip

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Unfortunately this is quite common and can have a number of causes. First check kingpins and wheel bearings for wear. If they are OK then you need go over the entire front and rear suspension checking for worn joints or rubbers, look closely at the mountings as well - the bolt holes can go oval. Its also worth having the wheel balance checked and ensuring that the wheel mounting surface and the hubs are clean. There was a Technical Service Bulletin for a change to the rubber hardness in the trailing arms, the part number is moulded into the rubbers and in my experience aftermarket bushes are to be avoided. If you can't find anything wrong with it at all then the kingpins may need shimming, this was also covered in the TSB.
I would suggest that you also go to bigjimny.com and search for 'death wobble'.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Something could be broke. On mine the bolt bracket broke off and the strut was not attached. The wear on the old tire would also be a clue but you don't have a picture of that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Time to get under the Jimny

Thanks for the suggestions folks. Just to be clear the vehicle does not wobble - it bounces up and down. But I guess I will have to check all the bushings and while I'm at it put a dial gauge on the disks. Fortunately the local bit of highway doesn't have corrugations and doesn't give trouble at any speed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think that its the weight of these vehicles they are to light for corrugated roads.The faster you go the more unstable they are. The best vehicle i have ever had for corrugated roads was a very heavy Holden panel van. The faster i drove the more stable it was. once you got above 90k it just hums.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts