Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally fired the tracker up today. Had the distributer one tooth off. It runs good but would like to set the timing w a light. Somebody said I needed to jumper two wires together to do this. Is that true? Also check engine light is on not sure what it is. I guess I'll take it to autozone and have it scanned. I've never driven it so don't know a lot about it. To update everyone. Its a 98 2dr tracker. I pulled the motor and tranny had the tranny checked out w new TC. Had the head reworked,milled and valves. Cylinders looked really good no ring groove. Engine only has 102k miles. So if anyone can tell me about setting the timing w a lite I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Well I finally fired the tracker up today. Had the distributer one tooth off. It runs good but would like to set the timing w a light. Somebody said I needed to jumper two wires together to do this. Is that true? Also check engine light is on not sure what it is. I guess I'll take it to autozone and have it scanned. I've never driven it so don't know a lot about it. To update everyone. Its a 98 2dr tracker. I pulled the motor and tranny had the tranny checked out w new TC. Had the head reworked,milled and valves. Cylinders looked really good no ring groove. Engine only has 102k miles. So if anyone can tell me about setting the timing w a lite I would appreciate it.
Look for a label under the hood that will show which pins to jump.

·
Super Moderator
24,207 Posts
Um, no. You need to freeze the timing at the diagnostic plug/connector, which, on your car, should be by the right front headlight (this is what the OBD1 cars would be jumping to get codes, etc.). It should be a white connector with a black locking top - you depress the tab to remove the black top and will see 6 pins inside. You are jumping the bottom left to bottom middle pin (the locking tab shows the top of the connector), to stop the ECU from regulating timing.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
You can't freeze timing if there is a fault code.

·
Super Moderator
24,207 Posts
Eck, missed that in the original post. Yeah, you have to get the CEL/code sorted first

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I must have my timing belt off one tooth. I can only get my timing to 8 degree btd. I tried moving my distributor one tooth and couldn't get it to 5degree. It runs great at 8degree sound like a little sewing machine runs down the highway fine. I think I'll leave it alone. Unless you guys thing it could be a problem.

·
Super Moderator
24,207 Posts
As Red Green says, if it ain't broke, you're not trying hard enough.
Personally, I would leave it until your next timing belt replacement.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Um...YES.
If the OP (or future readers) have the stock OEM hood there will be labels on the underside of the hood that answer his question and show which pins need to be jumped. It Shows all the tune-up specs like spark plug gap etc..

·
Super Moderator
24,207 Posts
One would need to be somewhat familiar with the car to understand what a box with 2 dots in it means. The hood doesn't advise where the connector is, or even the wire coloring. So pretty meaningless.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
One would need to be somewhat familiar with the car to understand what a box with 2 dots in it means. The hood doesn't advise where the connector is, or even the wire coloring. So pretty meaningless.
Tho it is pretty darn helpful when you are "under the hood". :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
24,207 Posts
Perhaps? It also shows vacuum hose routing. I imagine that even if one was under the hood, the diagram would still be questionable.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Um...YES.
If the OP (or future readers) have the stock OEM hood there will be labels on the underside of the hood that answer his question and show which pins need to be jumped. It Shows all the tune-up specs like spark plug gap etc..
Those labels are only fitted on North American models. On European models we don't have a hood either :D

·
Super Moderator
24,207 Posts
An Easter 'bonnet'. In any event, using such criteria to answer all further posts, all we need to do is say...'look at the label', 'look at the owner's manual' or 'look at the factory service manual'. I suppose it would save on typing, as after all, all the information is already printed somewhere....;)

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Those labels are only fitted on North American models. On European models we don't have a hood either :D
Good point. All this time I thought the OP was in MS, USA and was the person I was responding to.

But I 'll bet Bex has these labels on hers.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
An Easter 'bonnet'. In any event, using such criteria to answer all further posts, all we need to do is say...'look at the label', 'look at the owner's manual' or 'look at the factory service manual'. I suppose it would save on typing, as after all, all the information is already printed somewhere....;)
Bless your heart.

It has been said when
"you give a man a fish
you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and
you feed him for life".

When people know where to find information they won't have to put their greasy mitts all over their computer keyboard to search the internet. :(

Or is that what is wrong?

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
9,678 Posts
Computer keyboard!!

You have one of those?? Dont you have voice recognition?

..... Philip

1 - 19 of 19 Posts