Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I'm wondering how to set the ignition on an 02 tracker 2.0L
( I've got the pair, 02 tracker and vitara :)

I don't have access to a tech 1 and it doesn't have the maintenance connector to short out.

Is there a pin on the ECU I can ground to lock it at 5 degrees?

I suppose my other option is to use a basic scanner to see what the ECU selected timing is at idle and verify that with the timing light set at 0 advance.
They should match right ?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
19,087 Posts
Per the Manual...

6F2-6 IGNITION SYSTEM (FOR J20/H25 ENGINES

Narrative below. Narrative plus diagrams in Manual link.

Service Manual SQ416SQ420SQ625_2 of 2

IGNITION TIMING CHECK AND ADJUSTMENT
NOTE:
Before starting engine, place transmission gear shift lever in
“Neutral” (shift selector lever to “P” range for A/T model), and
set parking brake.
1) Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.
2) Make sure that all of electrical loads except ignition are switched
off.
3) Check to be sure that idle speed is within specification.
Refer to SECTION 6E1 or 6E2.
4) [Using SUZUKI scan tool (Tech 1)]
Connect SUZUKI scan tool (Tech 1) to DLC (1) with ignition
switch OFF, restart engine and fix ignition timing by using fixed
spark mode of SUZUKI scan tool (Tech 1).
Special Tool
(A): 09931-76011 (SUZUKI scan tool)
(B: Mass storage cartridge
(C): 16/14 pin DLC (OBD-II adaptor) cable
[Not using SUZUKI scan tool (Tech 1)]
a) Remove monitor coupler cap.
b) Ground test switch terminal in monitor coupler by using service
wire so that ignition timing is fixed on initial one.
5) Set timing light to ignition harness for No.1 cylinder.
6) Using timing light, check that timing observed from viewpoint
is within specification.

Initial ignition timing of viewpoint
(when it is fixed by Tech 1 or service wire): 5 1 BTDC
Ignition order: 1-3-4-2 (J20 engine)
: 1-6-5-4-3-2 (H25 engine)
Special Tool
(A): 09930-76420
7) If ignition timing is out of specification, loosen flange bolt(s), adjust
timing by turning CMP sensor while engine is running, and
then tighten bolt(s).
Tightening Torque
(a): 15 N.m (1.5 kg-m, 11.0 lb-ft)
8) After tightening bolt(s), recheck that ignition timing is within
specification.
9) After checking and/or adjusting, end fixed spark mode of SUZUKI
scan tool or disconnect service wire from monitor coupler.
CAUTION:
Driving with test switch terminal grounded will cause
damage to catalyst.
Be sure to disconnect service wire after adjustment.
NOTE:
In this state, ignition timing may vary more or less of initial
ignition timing but it is nothing abnormal.
10) With engine idling (closed throttle position and vehicle
stopped), check that ignition timing is about BTDC 12 – 16
(J20 engine), 10 –13 ( H25 engine with monitor connector),
6 – 12 (H25 engine without monitor connector) (shown in the
figure). Also, check that increasing engine speed advances
ignition timing.
If above check results are not satisfactory, check input signals
related to this system.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've gone through that. The problem is that there is no monitor coupler!
At least its not where the manual says it is supposed to be located.

I know where it is on the vitara, its on the left side just behind the washer bottle.

But the tracker doesn't have that...

Anyone know where they hid it ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Scanner Necessary?

I just did the timing chain fix on my 2.0 2000 chevy tracker and was doing some research on using a timing light and came across this...

"Install scan tool. Start and warm engine to normal operating temperature.
Ensure A/C is off, transmission is in Neutral (M/T) or Park (A/T), and parking brake is fully engaged.
Connect an inductive timing light to ignition coil No. 1. Using scan tool, select special functions, and then engine output controls.
Using scan tool, turn fixed spark mode on.
Observe spark parameter. Scan tool should display 5 degrees, indicating fixed spark mode has been activated. Using timing light, ensure crankshaft pulley mark aligns with timing pointer, indicating timing is correctly set at 5 degrees BTDC.
If ignition timing is 4-6 degrees BTDC, ignition timing is okay.
If ignition timing is not 4-6 degrees BTDC, go to next step.
To adjust ignition timing, loosen Camshaft Position (CMP) sensor housing bolt.
To advance ignition timing, rotate CMP sensor housing clockwise.
To retard ignition timing, rotate CMP sensor housing counterclockwise.
Recheck ignition timing. Readjust ignition timing as necessary.
Tighten CMP sensor housing bolt to 11 ft. Lbs. (15 N.M).
Using scan tool, turn fixed spark mode off.
Using timing light, ensure crankshaft pulley mark and timing pointer indicate 12-16 degrees BTDC"

Is the scanner and all this necessary to get the timing set right or is there another way?

·
Super Moderator
19,087 Posts
Get the Service Manual from the FAQ link at the top with diagrams..

In part...

Section: 6F2-6 IGNITION SYSTEM (FOR J20/H25 ENGINES

[Not using SUZUKI scan tool (Tech 1)]

a) Remove monitor coupler cap.
b) Ground test switch terminal in monitor coupler by using service
wire so that ignition timing is fixed on initial one.

IGNITION SYSTEM (FOR J20/H25 ENGINES) 6F2-7
5) Set timing light to ignition harness for No.1 cylinder.
6) Using timing light, check that timing observed from viewpoint
is within specification.
Initial ignition timing of viewpoint
(when it is fixed by Tech 1 or service wire): 5 1 BTDC
Ignition order: 1-3-4-2 (J20 engine)
: 1-6-5-4-3-2 (H25 engine

But according to an earlier post, the Tracker MAY not be configured like the Vitara for such an operation.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Is the scanner and all this necessary to get the timing set right or is there another way?
AFAIK, having a Chevy Tracker 2002 2.0...the only way to set spark fixed on is with the Suzuki Scan Tool...

I was looking for the diag connector for some time... until I checked on the Service Manual directly from Chevrolet which it doesn't mention the diag connector...

Cheers

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a USA/Canada 2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara. It also does not have the Monitor Coupler. :(

I too am looking for a way to set the timing to "Fixed".

Note: The "Diagnosis Connector" and the "Monitor Coupler" are the same thing.

To continue what Max posted from the service manual;

9) After checking and/or adjusting, end fixed spark mode of
SUZUKI scan tool or disconnect service wire from diagnosis
connector.
10) With engine idling (closed throttle position and vehicle
stopped), check that ignition timing is about BTDC 12° – 16°
(J20 engine), 10° – 13° (H25 engine with diagnosis connector),
6° – 12° (H25 engine without diagnosis connector)
(shown in the figure). Also, check that increasing engine
speed advances ignition timing.
If above check results are not satisfactory, check input signals
related to this system.

According to the manual this is what you should see if the timing is set correctly.

Having a Timing Light and adjusting the Camshaft Position (CMP) sensor are necessary.

hi, i'm wondering how to set the ignition on an 02 tracker 2.0l
( i've got the pair, 02 tracker and vitara :)

i don't have access to a tech 1 and it doesn't have the maintenance connector to short out.

is there a pin on the ecu i can ground to lock it at 5 degrees?

thanks.
Yes!

I've known for months that the timing in my 2000 Grand Vitara 2.5L was off and it is not equipped with a Monitor Coupler (Diagnosis Connector). I don't have a Tech 1 scan tool so, I simply ignored this test. After reading the posts above, my curiosity got the better of me and I had to test this myself.

I won't bore you with the technical rigors I went through before doing this test, I just want to impress on you that I would not have attempped this test were it not for the fact that I had an extra ECM/PCM.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I started a new thread on this subject to allow others to contribute to this list. I cannot verify all the different "Year, Model, Engine" combinations by myself. So, I will show you how to find it for yourself. If you find your cars information please post it here.

Warning: This information is provided free for use AT YOUR OWN RISK and is without guaranty or warranty or of any kind. Not every situation will conform to the given example. Your use of this information signifies that you assume all responsibility for any damage or loss.

It seems that the USA/Canada made Suzukis and Chevy/Geo Trackers are the ones not equipped with the Diagnosis Connector (or Monitor Coupler). It is important to know that the pinouts of the cars computers (ECMs) are not all alike. Find the correct manual for your car and locate the page that looks like the example schematic pictured below.

Here is a post for Suzuki Service Manuals:
http://www.suzuki-forums.com/genera...zuki-service-manuals-baleno-grand-vitara.html

From what I found (so far) about these vehicles with no Diagnosis Connector, is that the supporting electronics are still there and the connector was simply NOT installed in the wire harness.

The schematic below is an example from the service manual that helped me find my pin location on the ECM to set Fixed Timing.

The example shows where the Monitor Coupler (Diagnosis Connector) would have been wired into the ECM. In this case pin TS (Timing Set) is wired to ECM connector E61 pin 16 or [E61-16]. Note the connector and pin location on the ECM circled in red at the bottom left.

Here is another example from the Wiring Diagram manual.

This example shows the same thing. Diagnosis Connector (Monitor Coupler) E152 pin 5 is wired to the ECM at E61 pin 16.

To set "Fixed Timing" jumper pins 4 and 5 on the Diagnosis Connector E152.
OR
In this case of the 2000 Grand Vitara that does not have a Diagnosis Connector,
Jumper ECM E61-16 to Chassis Ground (Negative Battery Terminal).

·
Registered
24 Posts
The last post was getting too long so I had to end it.

I did test this myself and it worked. :D

If you know or have found the correct pin to set "Fixed Timing Mode" without the Diagnosis Connector on your vehicle, please post it here.

Please tell us the Year, Make, Model, Engine Size, Transmission, Pin Location and Notation on how to use it.

Like this: 2000, Suzuki, Grand Vitara, 2.5L, 5 Speed Manual, ECM E61-16, Jumper to Ground

I will follow up with more information and pictures when I have more time.

·
Registered
88 Posts
J20 double check pending...

The last post was getting too long so I had to end it.

I did test this myself and it worked. :D

If you know or have found the correct pin to set "Fixed Timing Mode" without the Diagnosis Connector on your vehicle, please post it here.

Please tell us the Year, Make, Model, Engine Size, Transmission, Pin Location and Notation on how to use it.

Like this: 2000, Suzuki, Grand Vitara, 2.5L, 5 Speed Manual, ECM E61-16, Jumper to Ground

I will follow up with more information and pictures when I have more time.
//Edited after some checking...

Rayw,

It's a great contribution to members with the same issue, thanks a lot.

I tried what you posted some time ago, trying to find the pins of the diagnosis connector to create one, I checked the manual and found which pins must be, on my Tracker '02, 2.0L J20, is E61-14 and when I connected to Ground nothing happened (yes, I connected before start engine). And then I assumed that that function is not available on my ECM, that would be the reason is not wired to.

Maybe I'm wrong or a dump question or both, but I suppose that while is on fixed mode on the timing muest be static, and on my case is jumping around 14 while iddling (I mean, .5 or 1 grades or so), the same happens starting the engine with or without the pin grounded. How would I know if the fixed mode is ON?

I will do a re-check this on weekend...I'm thinking on connect to ground the other pin which is supposed to be connected to ground (E61-29), and then jump them to E61-14 and see if something changes... (I have a spare ECM just in case).

Cheers.

·
Registered
24 Posts
//Edited after some checking...

Rayw,

It's a great contribution to members with the same issue, thanks a lot.

I tried what you posted some time ago, trying to find the pins of the diagnosis connector to create one, I checked the manual and found which pins must be, on my Tracker '02, 2.0L J20, is E61-14 and when I connected to Ground nothing happened (yes, I connected before start engine). And then I assumed that that function is not available on my ECM, that would be the reason is not wired to.

Maybe I'm wrong or a dump question or both, but I suppose that while is on fixed mode on the timing muest be static, and on my case is jumping around 14 while iddling (I mean, .5 or 1 grades or so), the same happens starting the engine with or without the pin grounded. How would I know if the fixed mode is ON?

I will do a re-check this on weekend...I'm thinking on connect to ground the other pin which is supposed to be connected to ground (E61-29), and then jump them to E61-14 and see if something changes... (I have a spare ECM just in case).

Cheers.
I concluded your Suzuki would be E61-14 but not sure about the Tracker.

I discovered a couple of things when I did the test. First is that it did not work when I grounded the pin to the ECM case. It did work when I grounded the pin to the passenger door hinge. I could hear a slight change in the RPM. I was able the turn it on and off while the engine was running. The other thing I noticed is that it matters how you connect the the timing light. I used a clamp-on inductive pickup type. When I clamped it over the three wires leading to the cylinder the light flashed but it was so far off I could not find the timing mark. I had to pull back the plastic sleeve to clamp on a single wire. The first wire I used produced the timing mark. about 12 degrees which moved to 7 degrees when the timing was fixed.

I'm planning to add posts on this subject to the other thread I made about fixed timing. Including some pictures of how I jumpered the pin. You can find it Here: http://www.suzuki-forums.com/genera.../142801-how-set-fixed-timing-mode-suzuki.html

Sounds like we may have similar problems with our Suzukis. I was able to set the timing but I still have not solved the over all problem. "That's another Thread!"

Let me know what happens

·
Registered
88 Posts
I don't have a specific electric wiring diagram for

Chevrolet Tracker '02, 2.0, Auto, 4WD, Soft Top.

But, I've always used the diagrams for his cousin Grand Vitara same specs, and at that manual specifies the pin E16-14 as the one to jump it to ground, but on this case I'm confirming (at least on my car) IT DOESN'T WORK, maybe on Suzukis does. I also tried to ground the pin E61-29 too, E61-29 with E61-14 and then both to groud and nothing happens. the timing mark never moved.

Cheers.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't have a specific electric wiring diagram for

Chevrolet Tracker '02, 2.0, Auto, 4WD, Soft Top.

But, I've always used the diagrams for his cousin Grand Vitara same specs, and at that manual specifies the pin E16-14 as the one to jump it to ground, but on this case I'm confirming (at least on my car) IT DOESN'T WORK, maybe on Suzukis does. I also tried to ground the pin E61-29 too, E61-29 with E61-14 and then both to groud and nothing happens. the timing mark never moved.

Cheers.
It took me several tries before I found a Ground that satisfied the ECM. I almost gave up until saw the shiny clean piece of metal in the door hinge. Make sure your ground is Ground. Put an ohm meter on it back to the battery terminal or use the battery terminal itself as Ground. Also I did not rely on the Connectors pin to make contact. See the picture below. I needed to be certain I had connection. If that "jumper clip wire" you see in the picture didn't work I would have soldered wire directly to the back side of the connector.

If that doesn't work and your still interested, I will try to help you find the supporting electronics inside the ECM. I did this with mine before I did the test. Basically I traced the circuit inside the ECM back to a chip. If the circuit had ended at an empty chip socket, I would have known the test was pointless.

It is possible that by 2002 the supporting electronics were no longer supplied. "All in the name to save a Penny"

I have a 2002 Suzuki XL7 I was planning to test. I will look inside the ECM first.

Good luck.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks for your help Ray!.

I'm possitive around connectivity, I introduced a metalic clip directly on the empty plug and felt when It touched the pin and with clamps connected to ground on seat rail and checked with the ohmeter.

What I'm going to do is opening the ECM, and I'll follow the trace connected to the pin to check the circuit as you suggested and I will post the results.

Thanks for your support.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Well, After researching and checking the ECM with the valuable help of rayw, on

Chevrolet Tracker '02, 2.0, Auto, 4WD, Soft Top. NOT SUPPORTED

Its ECM doesn have support for the diagnosis connector.

Thanks for your time and support rayw.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Xcabo- this may not help with a Tracker - however, I have found the X431 Idiag tool brings up a "fixed spark mode" option under "Actuator Testing" on my 2004 XL-7.

I haven't tried it at all, but it certainly seems to be the same function as the SDT can do for enabling timing setting.

(There's no guarantee it would bring up the option connected to your 2.0l Tracker, but you never know....)

·
Registered
7 Posts
about the scaner you use to put the engine on 5* timing

hi parner.... what kind of scan tool you use for set the timing on J20A suzuki?
I have the same problem, (a suzuki 2001 vitara canadian model) with out the diagnostic conector...but I now the suzuki scan tech 1 tool, do it...but dont have one ... and if you now any one aftermarket brand can do it...please let me now....THANKS

I just did the timing chain fix on my 2.0 2000 chevy tracker and was doing some research on using a timing light and came across this...

"Install scan tool. Start and warm engine to normal operating temperature.
Ensure A/C is off, transmission is in Neutral (M/T) or Park (A/T), and parking brake is fully engaged.
Connect an inductive timing light to ignition coil No. 1. Using scan tool, select special functions, and then engine output controls.
Using scan tool, turn fixed spark mode on.
Observe spark parameter. Scan tool should display 5 degrees, indicating fixed spark mode has been activated. Using timing light, ensure crankshaft pulley mark aligns with timing pointer, indicating timing is correctly set at 5 degrees BTDC.
If ignition timing is 4-6 degrees BTDC, ignition timing is okay.
If ignition timing is not 4-6 degrees BTDC, go to next step.
To adjust ignition timing, loosen Camshaft Position (CMP) sensor housing bolt.
To advance ignition timing, rotate CMP sensor housing clockwise.
To retard ignition timing, rotate CMP sensor housing counterclockwise.
Recheck ignition timing. Readjust ignition timing as necessary.
Tighten CMP sensor housing bolt to 11 ft. Lbs. (15 N.M).
Using scan tool, turn fixed spark mode off.
Using timing light, ensure crankshaft pulley mark and timing pointer indicate 12-16 degrees BTDC"

·
Registered
7 Posts
any up date to this post?

I have this problem, and do not find a solution

I have a 2001 vitara suzuki(canadian model) without the diagnostic conector

the problem is to find the correct esquematic for the ecu

in this foum some said the pin is E61-14....E61-16....others said E61-29 all to groud..

any one have this problem and haow fix it
or have the correct ecu diagram for vitara 2001 J20A 4cl canada?

thanks for any help

1 - 19 of 19 Posts