Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody tell me why a replacement tensioner pulley would be way larger than the pulley it is replacing? The original is 70 cm. in diameter, and the new one is 90 cm. I thought the store made a mistake, but checking every place else, says the 90 cm. one is the correct one. I haven't tried changing it yet, as I am concerned the larger size will be an issue with putting the belt on, and also will there be enough space to move the tensioner back to slip the belt on? I had to twist the old tensioner quite a bit to get the belt on, as it was.

I am working on a friend's 2010 SX4. His belt broke and I put a new one on. I discovered his tensioner pulley was quite wiggly, causing the belt to "walk" off the pulley, thus the need for a new pulley.

The local dealership is no help, they can only order the complete tensioner assembly, and have no clue as to the size of the pulley.

The tensioner pulley looks almost identical to the other two idler pulleys, being that plastic/polymer, and the same size. The replacement one is steel. (BTW, which side faces out, the curved side or the open side?)

Anybody else have this issue? How is the tensioner pulley different from the idler pulleys? Hmm...can I use an idler pulley? Help!

·
Super Moderator
12,340 Posts
I would have thought the answer was obvious - one, or the other, of the two pulleys is the wrong one - either the replacement is wrong, or the one you think is original, is in fact not the original, and is wrong.

Now, I'm going to assume here, that your friend's SX4 has a J20 engine, and the J20 engines I've worked on have one tensioner pulley and one idler pulley - the idler pulley sits on a stud on the timing cover, and the tensioner pulley is on a spring loaded arm on the tensioner - you mention two idler pulleys, so I'm wondering what it is you're really looking at.

This diagram is a 2008 SX4, the 2010 should be identical.

The pulley with the wrench on it is the tensioner pulley - left of that (and following the path of the belt travel) are the alternator and power steering pump, coming across the top (and still following the path of the belt) are the idler, and the water pump, and then down to the a/c compressor, back left to the crankshaft and up to the tensioner.

Suzuki does not supply the tensioner "pulley" as a separate item, so I'd say that there is a pretty good chance are that the replacement item you're sourcing is the wrong part - you may be able to replace the bearing in the pulley, it used to be possible with the older J20 engines.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
I'm thinking that it has the J20B engine in it and you have the tensioner for a J20A. This pic may help ascertain which it has, I believe 2010 is when the J20B was introduced.

·
Super Moderator
12,340 Posts
Just to avoid/reduce any possible confusion ...

The J20A shown above is not the transverse version as used in an SX4, it is from an older Vitara/Grand Vitara, without air conditioning.

There is an additional pulley shown, above and slightly to the right of the crankshaft pulley, this is for the engine driven fan used on these models (the SX4 & the newer Grand Vitaras have electric fans) and because this particular example also does not have air conditioning, that pulley is not shown.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fordem, How is it obvious if I've never seen an original to start with? Thus the reason I'm on here, asking for help. There is no one around this area that i know that has a 2010 SX4 that I can peek at. Or a 2007, '08, '09, '11, '12, or a '13 that I can look at (They all take the same pulley tensioner). I found out that the open side of the pulley goes toward the engine. I will try again. When I tried last night, it seemed to touch the other pulley to the right. But i didn't know which side went inwards.

None of those engines or diagrams are the one for his serpentine. There are 3 grooved pulleys, 2 idler pulleys and 1 tensioner pulley (which is identical to the idler pulleys). Looking up from the bottom, the tensioner pulley is right above the crankshaft, to the right. I will draw the serpentine pattern because I can't find it anywhere.

·
Registered
849 Posts
2010 is J20B.
Juat have a peek at Rockauto.com and you will see what is offered for 2009 (J20A) and 2010up (J20B)

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Assuming it is the J20B I cannot find a belt routing diagram anywhere. However I see differences on one of the idler rollers as the top one can be smooth plastic or metal grooved. Am I correct in thinking some countries use electric motor power steering ?? Any non rude opinions welcome on the diagrams below ;).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Or is the AC and PS the other way around. IE 2 plastic idlers = with AC. 1 plastic + 1 grooved metal = no AC.

I will figure this out :wacko:
You ever figure this out? What tensioner pulley did you put on? I think I have the same problem...I cannot find an accurate belt diagram for my 2012 SX-4 (US). I ordered a replacement tensioner, and the pulley is bigger than what was on the car, which I'm fairly sure was original.

The closest belt diagram I could find is the J24B, but obviously that's not my engine:
http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=248407&d=1384420002

I have a total of 8 pulleys in basically the same configuration as the J24B

·
Registered
849 Posts
... Am I correct in thinking some countries use electric motor power steering ?? ...
USA and Canada and, I understand, GB too (maybe other countries?)versions have hydraulic power steering. Asian and maybe some other european countries version are electric as per 2007-2009 shop manual available online . Of course, this means a different belt and maybe tensioner.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Ready to be corrected but I think there are 3 belt lengths, with AC, without AC, and underdrive pulley (usually with AC).

My car with electric PS has a dummy wheel where the PS pump would normally be.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Ready to be corrected but I think there are 3 belt lengths, with AC, without AC, and underdrive pulley (usually with AC).

My car with electric PS has a dummy wheel where the PS pump would normally be.
Is yours not like the above right hand photo, I thought this was correct for electric power steering. The belt just goes the other side of the idler pully ??

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
I also see 3 belt sizes. I'm assuming the countries with the electric power steering all have AC, otherwise the should be 4. All have the same tensioner though.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I should have specified that my engine is a J20A. Above the alternator there's a dummy power steering pulley so type of steering doesn't change belt. I can find J24B engines corresponding to each of your belt routing above so they differ. J20B and J24B would probably be same layout, I doubt there's much difference in block size.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts