Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been awhile since I reported in. Have a 2008 SX4 Crossover with 66,000 miles. Has been a real good car so far; no major probs. The Yokohama Y520 that I put on at 37K have improved the way it handled. Gas mileage stays around 24-25 in town and 26-28 on highway doing 70-75. It did drop to 20.3 mpg on a trip recently running near 100mph on interstate in west texas. Has been a good car.

At 65k time to start replacing parts like hoses and belts etc. Does anyone have a download for a procedure to change the drive belt? Doesnt look too hard but would like to have the torque settings for the retaining bolts etc. I tried to download a free version of shop manual one time but it never would work. If anyone can help me, I would appreciate it.

Top speed 116 on flat road. had it to 127 going down a long grade ant it was rock solid. Car is a good car; sorry to see Suzuki cars leave the states.

·
Registered
566 Posts
AFAIK- you don't need to torque anything to replace the serpentine belt. A spring loaded tensioner arm with pulley (which had a recall about a year ago) keeps the belt in place. Doesn't hurt to keep a spare belt in the car.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
On a car that old, you should be able to find a replacement belt at any Auto Parts Store.

I found the Service manual for my 2009 SX4. I don't know if the 2008 would be the same for the serpentine belt or not.

The download PDF file for the manual was on the old SX4 Club forum.

Good Luck,
Shadow :cool:

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
AFAIK- you don't need to torque anything to replace the serpentine belt. A spring loaded tensioner arm with pulley (which had a recall about a year ago) keeps the belt in place. Doesn't hurt to keep a spare belt in the car.
Now you're talking common sense....
you know that's not allowed here. :lol::lol::lol:

As long as you're within walking distance of an Auto Parts store, you don't need a spare belt. :eek: :lol::lol::lol:

I love this forum!

:cool:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Tensioner pulley to

Just changed the serpentine belt on our 2008 SX4. Advance auto had one, and he threw a new tensioner pulley on the counter also. They have a Suzuki dealer near them and apparently they always change the pulley with the belt. Supposedly problematic. We do notice a squeaking sound occasionally. For $8, I'll change it, very easy. Anyway, I jacked up and removed right front wheel. Removed inner plastic wheel well panel. Everything's right in front of you. Much better than fighting between engine and wheel well from the top. Very easy procedure, and no more squeaking. I also changed thermostat and hoses. NAPA sells the special antifreeze at a very reasonable price compared to dealer.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Had I gone long enough to need a new serpentine belt, I too would have changed the spring loaded idler. YES, it was a problem for may SX4 owners.

I drove my SX4 for about 40k miles and at that time it did not need a new belt, idler or hoses.

I am glad, however, to hear that you got that job done by yourself and that everything is back to like new again. I've always thought that with proper maintenance, the little SX4 should be able to keep running for many years.

Cheers Mate!
:cool:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I finally changed the Serpentine Drive belt on SX4 at 68K miles. Thank you members for the help. I found the belt at Napa for $28.00. Procedure was pretty easy. The only prob I had was that the drawing someone had sent was a mirror image, all my pulleys were on the opposite side. Didnt take too long to figure that one out. I still am looking for a free download of the shop manual for the 2008 SX4. All the links so far redirect me to a paid site wanting $12.00 for the download. That isnt too bad but rather have free. If anyone knows a good link for a free down load of the shop maual, please drop me a line. Thanks.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks for posting this. Was the recall for the tensioner applicable to '08 SX4s? I have an '08 but did not receive a recall notice. I'm still on the original serpentine belt at 145,000k :)
The only recall my car has had has been for the exterior mirror bolts. It would have been nice if they had done one for the A/C magnetic clutch but Suzuki Canada didn't even issue the TSB up here (I'm trying to locate the USA TSB if anyone can help). My dealer advises they were, unfortunately, always at odds with Suzuki Canada.
Cheers, Happy Canada Day and 4th July! :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just checked on alldata.com and it doesn't show a recall for Canadian SX4s for the serpentine belt tensioner. There are only three recalls showing: Garmin battery (USA only) and the exterior mirror screws and the rearview mirror head.
The TSB on the A/C clutch shows the removal of the serpentine belt and slackening of the tensioner. I will try to post it on that thread.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I changed the serpentine belt for the first time at 140,000kms. Now I have 150k and there is a noise from one of the pulleys and I'm guessing its the tensioner assembly and not just the tensioner pulley. Thats a pretty expensive repair as the part costs $250 from a Suzuki dealer or $137 from Autopartsway

To change the belt simply requires a 14metric ring spanner/wrench :)

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Those generally don't make noise.
The water pumps sometimes make noise.
Get a mechanics stethoscope and properly ID the source before throwing more money at it

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks I'll do that. Its been expensive in maintenance lately and now needs a lower control arm. The pulley noise is intermittent but I'll try to isolate it to the correct unit.
Cheers. :)

·
Registered
566 Posts
On the topic of serpentine belts= I went to my dealer yesterday to get one just to have on hand. They quoted me about $100 ! :eek::eek:---- needless to say, they didn't get that sale! This dealer is honest but Suzuki must be nuts!:eek:

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had the same quote this last week. The dealer said Suzuki need a Suzuki belt and not an after market as the specifications are so rigid. I didn't buy it or the theory. Any belt is going to change its dimensions with wear and the tensioner compensates.

My "belt noise" is not the tensioner (it wasn't replaced when I replaced the belt) its the a/c compressor bearings - no doubt worn out by the magnetic clutch which hasn't worked for 18 months. I don't want to by a reman unit for $400 and have it installed, its just not worth it on a car with 152000 kms. I'm wondering if anyone has bypassed the clutch/compressor pulley with a belt for an SX4 without air conditioning? Is the pulley in the way (Suzuki dealer say it is, but I don't trust their judgement :) )?

Cheers

·
Registered
566 Posts
The Gatorback by Goodyear, Gates and Dayco serpentine belts all seem to get decent reviews.If you're past the powertrain warranty (100k km in Canada), you can put on whatever you like!!;)

·
Registered
94 Posts
It has a Gates Micro V at less than $30 :)
I'm going to try to fit a belt for the rare SX4 that doesn't have a/c - hoping the magnetic clutch pulley is not in the way.

·
Registered
389 Posts
The belt without AC goes directly from crank pulley to the water pump pulley so should miss the AC pulley if you leave it there. It's not like power steering where there's an idler pulley even if the power steering is electric.

I would be surprised if there was a special "Suzuki" belt. There may be a range of belt qualities. AFAIK belts are made in a range of lengths and it's a case of finding the correct one in the brand you want.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts