Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two serious and one trivial question about my Ignis. I hope that someone can spare the time to help.

1: how does one prevent the infotainment display and dashboard illumination from switching itself off for about 10(?) seconds after emerging from a tunnel underpass etc.? I though I had followed the instructions in the manual, but it still occurs.

2. The motor in my Ignis seems to surge from time-to-time. This phenomenon was worse when the car was new, but even after 5.5k km, it still happens. There is one stretch of road near home on which it always occurs. This is a straight gradient of perhaps 1 in 15 about 500m long. The surge is not clutch slip: engine revs don't change in the surge. It feels as if the car is either firing on 3 cylinders, then 4; or it isn't getting enough air and then sufficient; or the hybrid system is hesitating adding a boost. Coupled with the stuttering, once it has resolved itself, the car accelerates progressively without additional pressure on the accelerator! Any ideas? My Suzuki service center found no problems, and in the absence of a similar gradient near his workshop I was unable to demonstrate the problem.

The trivial issue: is there a way to set the default input for the infotainment system (I don't have a UK manual for this). I listen to music vua USB, and often change the content on the USB. After each removal and reinsert ion I have to cycle through the inputs.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I know no answer to the three questions, however, one must remember this is low budget car - don't expect a high standard of refinement when it comes to features, full stop.

·
Registered
817 Posts
1. Mine don't do that - only the brightness changes - yours might be faulty or the relevant brightness settings might have to be adjusted? (I haven't checked this in the handbooks as to whether it's possible even).

2. Mine doesn't do that. Is yours manual or CVT - it may be a "feature" of the latter.

3. I'll pop out and try on mine. I almost always listen to the radio but I have my music library on USB and it's plugged in at present (annoying having to unplug to plug the phone in!)..... No, mine behaves as yours if the USB stick is removed and reinserted - because it detects that happening? You don't have to "cycle through" though using the "source" button on the wheel - using the top left screen button brings up the list of all the sources so a little easier with two screen taps.

By the way, how many of you know that a LONG press of the "source" button on the steering wheel shuttles forth and back to/from navigation?

Infotainment manual attached. I don't think the 2020 facelift affected this - can anyone suggest otherwise?

Attachments

·
Registered
322 Posts
Just checking I understand............. You enter a tunnel, lights on auto ........... headlights come on and the panel and infotainment screen dims.................leaving the tunnel, headlights should extinguish and panel lights go bright. In your case on leaving the tunnel, main lights extinguish and the display lights extinguish for 10 seconds then presumably come on at full brightness? What happens to the display lights when you switch on the headlamps manually then switch off with the engine running? Do the display lights behave as they should?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Presumably in terms of the stuttering - the dealer has checked for fault codes and none displayed? Sounds very much like a HT coil breakdown on load. This wouldn't always throw up a code. Any pattern - does it happen with the engine hot or cold?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Presumably in terms of the stuttering - the dealer has checked for fault codes and none displayed? Sounds very much like a HT coil breakdown on load. This wouldn't always throw up a code. Any pattern - does it happen with the engine hot or cold?
Suzuki workshop checked everything (on three occasions) and found no anomalies. They updated the EMS on the second occasion, but I can't say it helped.
I'm giving up, and will get rid of the Ignis ASAP. I'm very disappointed, but the car does not suit me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just checking I understand............. You enter a tunnel, lights on auto ........... headlights come on and the panel and infotainment screen dims.................leaving the tunnel, headlights should extinguish and panel lights go bright. In your case on leaving the tunnel, main lights extinguish and the display lights extinguish for 10 seconds then presumably come on at full brightness? What happens to the display lights when you switch on the headlamps manually then switch off with the engine running? Do the display lights behave as they should?
I found the solution. This phenomenon is deliberate, but in my opinion it is potentially dangerous and scary. Near to me there is a motorway exit immediately after a tunnel. Until I found the solution, the display was completely blacked out whilst negotiating the exit.
To eliminate the loss of dashboard illumination, one has to set the dashboard display to maximum (and, as I recall, vaguely) some other setting simultaneously. It's in the manual, but not easily-found!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts