Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RE: 2001 SUZUKI GRAND VITARA 4X4

Greetings. I’m new here, looking for help in a high $takes poker game. No, make that “$ensor Roulette.”

First things: I am not the owner of the car. My nephew is. I am in California, he and the car are in Oregon. The check engine light is on. The car has been shuddering and stalling.

The car has been seen visited by a mechanic who, with the aid of a computer, diagnosed 1st, the Idle Control Valve. ($$$) A slight improvement. Slight. Still stalls. Different mechanic, same shop: Add MASS AIR SENSOR. ($$$)(No improvement. Add OXYGEN SENSOR. No improvement. (No charge for that yet.)

All of these ‘add ons’ were the result of computer codes one assumes. And that’s where we are.

Everything about this reminds me of an experience I had with an 87 Chrysler LeBaron. All the symptoms were the same. The mechanic changed various parts. No improvement. So he refunded my money and said, “Don’t come back.” The car was towed to the Chrysler dealer and there, one guy turned the ignition switch while another guy got under the gas tank and banged it with rubber
mallet. Started right up. Correct diagnosis: Fuel Pump.

Could it be?

Thank you for your insights.

·
Super Moderator
18,423 Posts
The car has been shuddering and stalling
Does it do that at speed or idling (or both)?

Rog, that isn't a typical fuel pump issue. Fuel pressure measured at the injector rail will confirm.

We really need the code from a scan to better evaluate. Scans are free at the Auto Parts store.

A basic tune-up is the best baseline starting point too, if not yet accomplished. Plugs and filters. ;)

Confirm that the engine is a 2.5 V-6 too.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,255 Posts
After the basic tune up, I would advise you go "all Philip" ;) on this thing, as you have already experienced, guessing cost time and $$$$..

.... Philip

·
Super Moderator
18,423 Posts
A Live Data Scan!

Yep. ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Entering Phase II: Tow truck to Dealer

Does it do that at speed or idling (or both)?

Rog, that isn't a typical fuel pump issue. Fuel pressure measured at the injector rail will confirm.

We really need the code from a scan to better evaluate. Scans are free at the Auto Parts store.

A basic tune-up is the best baseline starting point too, if not yet accomplished. Plugs and filters. ;)

Confirm that the engine is a 2.5 V-6 too.
Sorry for the delay. I'm having to communicate through emails with my nephew. At this time, he's decided to take it tomorrow to the Mitsubishi dealer who handles Suzuki's. I would expect better results there. The local garage couldn't figure it out it seems.

My nephew states that it is a 4 cylinder Grand Vitara. I couldn't get more precision than that at this time. I have encouraged him to take it to an auto parts store to ask them to read the trouble codes.

Thank you for your help.

·
Super Moderator
18,423 Posts
It's a "Live Data Scan" diagnostic accomplishment, often suggested by young Phillip. It provides a graph and numeric display of key performance characteristics in real (engine running) time. :)

A four cylinder Grand Vitara? :huh: This must be an other than North American sourced vehicle then.

Assuming it is the 2.0 4-banger in discussion here, my thoughts turn to the CPS (Cam Position Sensor) for its somewhat high component failure rate, as a possible culprit.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,255 Posts
It's a "Live Data Scan" diagnostic accomplishment, often suggested by young Phillip. It provides a graph and numeric display of key performance characteristics in real (engine running) time. :)
Got a good chuckle out of this one, (coming up on 67).

Last week I assisted a neighbour, wife asked where I had been. Explained that I was next door with the young fellow, she replied, "you are aware he is in his mid 50's!"

So all is relative....

.... Philip

1 - 9 of 9 Posts