Suzuki Forums banner

Sensor light

14K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Billjohn 
#1 ·
hi all,
recently the sensor light on the guage panel lit up on my 87 sam. when i'm driving down the road on constant throttle the sensor light stays on. when i let off the gas to go down a hill or grade the sensor light then starts blinking.

no where in the haynes manual does it address this kind of problem. anybody have an idea??

thanx

#2 ·
First a silly question, How is your oil level? If the oil level is low and the oil pump is spinning fast and trying to feed oil and starts sucking air the oil pressure will go down and the light will turn on. Ten you drop the rpm's and what oil is there catches up and the light goes off. I have seen that happen. It could also mean that the oil pump is having other issues. It could also mean the O2 sensor is going out.
I have the code list for when the light stays on, but if it isn't constant it won't give you a code.

#3 ·
at first i thought the oil level as well. it was a little low so i topped er off but the light continues. i may have an oil pump or the seal problem. seems that there is fluid coming out from the timing belt cover area. may be a water pump or the oil pump or both.:unsure:
how do you check for the codes? the manual says there is a diagnostic on the fuse block but i checked the one under the steering column and there's none on that one. am i missing another??

thanx bill.

#4 · (Edited)
Ok, went back through my notes and found that the carbed models don't store the codes... crap. That started in 1990 with the EFi models. Those are the ones that have the place to stick a fuse to turn on the diagnostics.

You end up having to troubleshooting all the sensors until you find one that fails. You can get the instructions on how to troubleshoot the sensors directly out of the Factory Service Manual. If you don't have one you can download it at www.suzukiinfo.com

Sorry I let you down this time. :(

Here is something to help the other guys with later models...
Engine Light

#5 ·
bill,
no worries. while searching the link i found another problem that i wasn't aware of-fuel pump was leaking from the breather tube, suggesting a torn diaphragm. fixed that and it runs much better but still have the sensor lite. i figure i can live with it until i go weber or side draft. hopefully getting rid of stock hitachi carb and all the sensors that go with it will cure problem.

any insight to better direction (weber vs. side draft) for a mostly daily driver/not extreme wheeling machine??

you are a plethora of info and i'm glad you take the time to share it with all the rest of us:cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.