Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha; Yeah.

I tend to do a lot of pointless stuff though.

I was gonna custom put a turbo off a turbo deisel truck.

Still gonna do it unless I get my hands on this t3 or t25 turbo.

Should I talk to you about brake kits?

·
Registered
165 Posts
With today's ball bearing turbochargers, going with twin setups or God forbid, a seqential setup, is almost like taking a step backwards. Back in the day of the twin turbo Supra's and RX-7's ball bearing turbos were very expensive and almost non existant, so it made sense to go with sequential setups to reduce lag and still make good top end power. Now you can get large ball bearing turbochargers that outspool the smaller turbos that were around back in the day. Take a look at the spool characteristics of a large ball bearing turbo like HKS's GT series.
Also, most vehicles that did come with twin or sequential had a much larger volume of exhaust flow than our engines have. I dont know if you know how much exhaust an RX-7 puts out, but it is massive. Take a look at some of the single turbo conversions done on steet driven FD RX-7's and pay attention to the turbine side housing size. Massive. These cars can spool these monsters easily. Now to use twins on a Forenza/Reno, you are going to have to go with much smaller size turbines due to each only having two cylinders to spool each turbine. You are going to end up with much more backpressure than if you went with a larger single turbo. If you wanted to make some nice power I would reccomend a HKS GT-RS turbo, these make great top end power and have quick spool characteristics.
On another note, two turbos, custom twin manifold, intercooler piping, and all this will add up to more $$$. Rebuilds will be much more expensive if ever needed as well. Oh and do we even have space for two turbos and all the piping?
On to the discussion of deisel turbos, this is one we actually tried just because we had one laying around. We put a turbo from a Marine Corps AAV on a Nissan Silvia with a 2.0 liter SR20DET. Let me tell you, it made outstanding power......after 6000 RPM! Most deisel turbochargers are the old bushing style and the impellers are quite heavy and take a while to get up and moving. The car had nothing at low RPM. Another turbo besides the GT-RS is a Garret T04E. I had one on another Silvia with the 1.8 liter CA18DET. I had a .50 AR compressor and a .50 turbine housing with a ball bearing center section that I used for drifting and the response was amazing. Very little turbo lag and was great all around. Probably my favorite of any turbocharger I have personally used. I was running around 350 horsepower (sorry didnt dyno it) at 19 psi.
Anyway, sorry about the rant, just Greg's 2 cents. :D

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha; No doubt about teh exhaust that comes out of an RX-7.

Good friend of mine has a first gen and its pretty extreme. :)

And I was told to use nitrous to spin the turbines if I was gonna go twin Turbo or put the giant turbo off the deisel in my car but then again that would be adding to the $4000.00 custom set up for the truck turbo. :p

But yeah about the late spooling; I know our car wouldnt have anywhere near the power of a truck to spool such a great big thing that early; our cars would start around 5,000 RPMs if I did my homework right.

That's why I think i'm just gonna sell the little extra turbo I have and I might as well check out that GT-RS turbo you're talking about. :D

And before I forget; Once you take of that heat cover space comes at you like a train; I have so much space that i could Supercharge it and Twin turbo; Airbox and heat cover really take up a lot of space.

And our stock headers are pretty big? Just wondering if anyone else thought so too.

·
Registered
265 Posts
iROK said:
And I was told to use nitrous to spin the turbines .
uhh usually turbos get pretty hot unless ur intercooler is amazing... soo that might be a bad idea...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Putting nitrous to the intercooler can't be all that bad?

That's how I would spin the turbine.

·
Registered
265 Posts
ooo ur gunna put it in the intercooler.. ok... i thought u were gunna put it threw the air intake.... my friend has a system that sprays liquid C02 into the intercooler... much cheaper and very efficient

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
zerocool said:
ooo ur gunna put it in the intercooler.. ok... i thought u were gunna put it threw the air intake.... my friend has a system that sprays liquid C02 into the intercooler... much cheaper and very efficient
People use nitrous and turbos all the time, not really a problem just tons of different tuning. I think drag racers use it the most, get huge turbos and run the litrous untill the turbos spooled.

Nitrous kits for the intercooler also help allot. I think slightly modded srt-4s gain as much as 12whp

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So thats not that bad of an idea huh?

Spray mist into the intercoooler.

I think I'm gonna be the youngest person with a custom turbo setup on his Forenza. :D

I think I'm the youngest guy on here with an 06 Forenza period. :x

·
Registered
265 Posts
im 16 and i purchased an 06 forenza 2 weeks b4 i even got my license

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
iROK said:
So thats not that bad of an idea huh?

Spray mist into the intercoooler.

I think I'm gonna be the youngest person with a custom turbo setup on his Forenza. :D

I think I'm the youngest guy on here with an 06 Forenza period. :x
Nope. I think I'll be using the window wiper fluid area to store it, or I might rip it out and make something else.

How old are you? I'm only 18

·
Registered
165 Posts
I hate you guys, I feel old.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bah; I got my Forenza like a monthand a half before I got my liscense.

I needed a car to get to work. Lol.

I'm only sixteen and I feel old lol.

·
Registered
265 Posts
ya works a biatch.. i work alot

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I work at a tattoo shop; And I'm at a car electronics spot all day that does tints and everything.

I've learned to do a lot.

And I smoked my taillights thanks to them.

Wanna see pictures?

eyelids and tail lights; pictures tommorow

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Give me till a little later today; They came out really nice.

Word of advice: Don't try to smoke your tail lights with paint!

It's illegal in most states if not all; Its too dark. lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts