Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi forum!

My first post here so please be gentle ;-)

I've made up my mind about a new car purchase and will be aiming for a SX4. I'm venturing out this weekend to have a first look.

I'm in Australia (if that matters?) and looking at the 2.0 engine with automatic transmission setup. 2007-2009 with 90k - 120k km seems to be my price range.

Apart from obvious things to check with a used car, is there anything particular that you would recommend to check in this car?

Thanks a lot for help!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi forum!

My first post here so please be gentle ;-)

I've made up my mind about a new car purchase and will be aiming for a SX4. I'm venturing out this weekend to have a first look.

I'm in Australia (if that matters?) and looking at the 2.0 engine with automatic transmission setup. 2007-2009 with 90k - 120k km seems to be my price range.

Apart from obvious things to check with a used car, is there anything particular that you would recommend to check in this car?

Thanks a lot for help!
If you can manage a 2010 onwards, it is a far better car. The vvt engine has more go and the CVT transmission works really well if you use cruise control. Ours now has 130k on the clock.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you can manage a 2010 onwards, it is a far better car. The vvt engine has more go and the CVT transmission works really well if you use cruise control. Ours now has 130k on the clock.
Definitely not true. 2010 on is drive by wire so it has pretty bad lag. 2009 is drive by cable so much better response.

2009 also has a very easily serviceable oil filter. 2010 on is a nightmare.

2010 may have added a few horses but at the expense of other areas.

Also, I only have 73k on my clock :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Instead of making a new topic gonna toss my hat in here lol.

I am also thinking about a used SX4, im in USA. How is the parts situation currently with these? I see the car wasn't in production for very long and had no sister platform, so am wondering if finding parts is an issue yet? (Am a haggard backyard DIY mechanic)

Between an SX4 and 3rd gen Vitara what would be a better pick? for mainly DD purposes with some light trail usage.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Was under the impression they were sort of the new AMC Eagle lol guess I am mistaken. Anyway will do some more research on the grand vitaras.

·
Super Moderator
12,252 Posts
AMC Eagle - you're showing your age there...

The SX4 is a compact sedan, it was available with all wheel drive, but it is no match for a Grand Vitara, which, if you choose one with the four mode 4WD is a true 4WD with two speed transfer case. It is a little challenged in the ground clearance department, but there are ways to deal with that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
old thread but thought I would comment as I just bought one after I did a lot of research.
SX4 is a great little car. But do know that it isnt a Prius on gas. Compromise between efficiency and AWD. It isnt a Ferrari either but goes pretty good and handles nicely.
Look for steering wear-tie rod specifically. They are known to eat them quickly. Any play in them requires replacement. They are known for tire wear too but again thats a compromise: you sacrifice tire wear for AWD.

They are also known for front catalytic converter wearing out prematurely. O2 sensors too. Usually as it gets closer to 100k kms. I am in Canada and the one I bought just had the front sensor replaced. Not cheap but available. The cat was on its last legs too so I replaced it with a new OEM replacement Walker, and had the second cat removed for a little more power and efficiency. Only slightly louder.
ive heard others say ball joints and control arms, and the engine cross mount. But that depends on where you are, what kind of roads you are on, and how much you beat it up off-roading.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts