Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi @ll I want to know if the Garmin unit behave like this :

You turn the key to acc and start and the radio is already powered or if i may say no startup delay "no original suzki red car logo", only did it once i connected back the car battery ... if i turn the gv off and put it to ACC everything is okay.

I put back into my newly acquired GV 2010 3.2L the original Garmin unit, and i can't recall if this behaviour is okay / normal ??? i want to avoid a battery drain ?

I ditched a Kenwood Dnx unit who had an canbus and a cable harness adaptor, i was tired to search the damn tactile volume functions ... i know i know they are on the steering too loll i'm Kinda old fashioned loll

thks

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
That's normal, the unit is in standby mode when key is off, and it will slowly drain the battery if its left sitting for a week or so. Press and hold the power button to turn it off fully.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh i saw something on another forum, the accessory voltage on radio harness pin 9 is not dropping under 1.88 volts something like this ... the radio is not doing a full shutdown, some people had put an relay to fully switch off the acc pin #9

Im going to check this .... you can add some rectifier diodes in serial to loose some voltage, maybe 2x in serial ...

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
The acc line does drop to zero, i have checked mine when installing other things like drl's etc. Under about 10 volts will trigger standby mode and display off in these radios. Wait till you try starting with a partially flat battery and the radio comes up with the Suzuki logo and fully reboots. That's the main supply line dropping below 9 volts
Removing the acc line or ensuring it drops to zero volts will not shut the radio down, it just puts it into standby, only way to shut it off completely is to remove the main power feed and that kills all your presets, or push and hold the power button to shut it down.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All fine it can take around 10 hours to see the Suzuki Garmin radio fully restarting, the acc residual voltage take a long time to drop ??? maybe add a bleeder resistor, i dont want to mess with the radio harness too much

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
All fine it can take around 10 hours to see the Suzuki Garmin radio fully restarting, the acc residual voltage take a long time to drop ??? maybe add a bleeder resistor, i dont want to mess with the radio harness too much

rubbish,

my acc line drops to 0V after about 2 seconds of key off. My garmin unit only restarted if i turned it off fully or the battery volts got too low cranking, or i had the battery disconnected. both my 2013 and 2015 did the same thing, i have replaced the unit in the 2015 for a better stereoand less nagging about out of date maps

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
eh 2013GV i know or i guess ou have a rant against the Garmin unit, go vent your frustration elsewhere, no need to tell it each time on every thread who talk about the Garmin Unit.

I did make a thread on the garmin unit, and thats the unit i want to use. Remember : i have tried to make a firmware hack, it did work to an extent, i dont have any warning message at boot, and i dont care if i lost the phone connectivity while doing so, and if i recall you polluted that thread too with you aftermarket radio ... sorry your garmin died if i recall.

I ditched a more powerful Kenwood DNX unit because of the user interface, because my eyes leaves the road if i play on the volume commands ON the radio, not the steering buttons.

I dont know how it react in my newly acquired gv2010 thats all i'm gonna check a few things in the acc supply line, and i have an anti theft and starter system too ... and some people on other forums did have this kind of problem.

It had the kenwood unit with headrest screens and a few more things added, but it was a botched job, seen some future problems ... removed all of this stuff.

pm me if you want to rant instead of doing it here.

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
im not ranting, i'm saying the acc line does not trigger the full reboot of the unit, the reboot is only triggered from a complete power down via the power button or removal of the main 12V supply line or a voltage drop on that line from depressed volts when cranking.
I have measured the acc line on both my cars while confirming wiring colours and both my car's acc lines drop to 0 Volts within 2 seconds of key off when the master relay in the fuse box under the hood opens.

you are fine to use the garmin unit, its your vehicle and i still had the factory fitted one in my 2013 when i sold it a few weeks ago. I just find it annoying that a well known manufacturer makes such an unfriendly unit to update.

If the ACC line triggers a restart like you suggest it does, then the unit would reboot every time you started the car. They do not do this, even after the car sits for a week.

If you come out of reverse and find it is rebooting and is displayng the suzuki logo then you have had the 12V main supply line drop below approx 10.5 Volts momentarily when cranking, The radio will function down to about 11 Volts before entering a restart / reboot.
Cranking with a partially flat battery is also a cause of them getting stuck in a boot loop as the unit doesn't reset properly. this is usually cured by reloading the firmware.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Where on earth do you get that from???? Or are you just saying a rebooot from scratch?

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
Where on earth do you get that from???? Or are you just saying a rebooot from scratch?
The "reboot" is the restart where it fully restarts and shows the suzuki logo and all the other warning screens, similar to a computer starting from a power off state, not a sleep state

·
Registered
221 Posts
On a slightly different but related topic was just watching a utube video by a bloke who claims that if you change your battery type on some cars the computer needs to be reprogrammed via a scan tool. Does anyone know if this applies to the GV? Eg. From glass mat to wet cell. I had some bad experience with glass some years ago and went back to wet cell where I can keep an eye on it. I understand they've improved over the years and am proposing to go back when this one carks it.

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
No, the GV us a pretty basic charging system, the alternator is electronically controlled and charge output changes depending on load. Remember this was designed back in 2005. AGM batteries are good, but I have always maintained you use what the manufacturer decided was best, in this case wet acid. You should have no issues going to a glass mat that I can see. The added cost is not worth it for my application however

·
Registered
221 Posts
That's what I've been wondering

1 - 14 of 14 Posts