Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

For some reason the official Suzuki SD card to update map navigation was not included with the car.

I wonder if it is something I should purchase separately (Suzuki sells it at £300, which I think is too pricey for an SD card) or should it had come alongside with the car I can claim to the car dealer?

Thanks for your answers

·
Registered
22 Posts
In the UK the SZ5 comes with the navigation (and SD card) included but the SZT does not - it is provided at extra cost. And I believe that the SZ3 does not have the multimedia unit at all. I’m sure that someone will correct me if I’m wrong!

·
Registered
648 Posts
You don't say whether you've bought new or used, or what model you have.

The SZ-T used to come with sat-nav but doesn't nowadays.

The SZ5 has always had sat-nav.

It's much cheaper to buy a card on eBay. Not sure how whether anything other than plugging it in is necessary.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, sorry, would help if I would provide more data

I bought the SZ5 automatic. New.

I understand per your comments I should not be charged with the SD card as it should have been included from day one?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I contacted my dealer and he said my car is more than 1 year and a half old, hence I can not claim for an SD Card free of change.

I think that's unfair because I was not given the SD card included with the car in first place and furthermore, I was not advised to claim it before a year and a half to avoid being charged.

I've ended up buying a cheap one via e-Bay that arrived today, but after inserting the card on the unit nothing happened.

I've checked the card isn't empty on a computer and it has all the necessary files and folder structures, but I don't know how to use it or where to start from.

Has anyone attempted to update the navigation map on the new Ignis? I've been investigating and I am so confused about SLDA, Maruti and other stuff I am not familiar with
I think I should probably open a new thread for this, but just checking here just in case

·
Registered
648 Posts
I have to say I'm surprised you've had the car SO long and not realised sat-nav was missing.

Ask the person who sold the SD card to you.

Ask the dealer now you've got the car - there may be a "switch" that needs setting somewhere in the diagnostics.

Assuming it's a genuine SD card, pop it in then go to a different dealer and complain under warranty that the sat-nav isn't working.

EDIT - BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ABOVE

I've just realised you may have bought the wrong SD card!

There are two set-ups in a new Ignis. The earlier models had an "aftermarket" Pioneer unit fitted as this one - it's easy to identify since it says "Pioneer" at the top:

... then after around 6-12 months it was replaced with a Suzuki unit that's actually a Bosch.

What have you got and what SD card have you bought?

This is the Bosch card in mine:

20190323_114951.jpg 20190323_115000.jpg (these are thumbnails - click on to enlarge)

I'd have to admit I can't find any SD cards for the older Pioneer unit.

·
Registered
648 Posts
This doesn't apply to shinji78 but if anyone is reading this topic thinking they can retrofit sat-nav to their car the manual states:

8.16 Retrofitting the navigation function

If the device is not originally equipped with the
navigation function, it may be possible for you to
have it retrofitted. Please contact your Suzuki
dealer regarding this.
The navigation software for your device is supplied
on an SD card. Please follow the instructions
below to install the navigation software:

Note:
For details on handling SD cards,
please read the section entitled “Connecting/
inserting external devices and
data storage devices” (page 23).

Insert the SD card containing the navigation
software into the SD card slot 3.
The compatibility of the navigation software is
checked and confirmed.

Note:
If the navigation software is incompatible,
the device will not respond.

The navigation software is loaded onto the
device.

Note:
If the navigation software was not
loaded successfully, the device will
restart without the navigation function.
In this case, please try again. If the
problem persists, please contact your
Suzuki dealer.

I don't know whether that means a special SD card is required to do this or whether any Bosch SD card would work - anyone?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the info.

Yes, my Ignis is equipped with the Pioneer unit, not the Bosch.

I've been using my sat nav from day one, but they've recently build a new road on my area and I wanted to get the latest map update (the one preinstalled with the car is dated Q4 2014). And that was where this mess started from.

I can now confirm I no longer need the SD card I just purchased from e-bay (if someone wants it, private message me and I will sell it cheaper than what I paid. Don't need to say is 100% new as I didn't even had the chance to use it).

As per updating the Pioneer map, I found 2 ways I am actually still investigating.

There is an app called AVICSYNC which I installed on my phone and managed to connect to the car, but that is pretty much all of it.
It is essentially the same nav app the Pioneer unit is using except you can have it on your phone too.
No map updates available from its online shop apart from the default Q4 2014, which makes me believe the app has been abandoned.

The other way seems to be via PC by installing Naviextras Toolbox, that seems to be a subscription thing to get things up to date.
I have not yet investigating this too much so far, but it looks this will be the way to go.

I can not ask to the dealer who sold the car to me as they closed and lost their contact.
The new Suzuki dealer in my area... meh.. I can't trust them because they were about to charge me £300 for an SD Card I now notice I don't need. They didn't even checked what sat nav do I have. I am basically alone researching this, but I am glad Internet is helping me a lot.

If I do any progress I will post it here in case someone else is scratching his head in the future like I am doing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought a 2018 Ignis sz-t so has the Bosch screen. The map card didn't come with it as standard so asked our local dealer how much for the card....£250 I kid you not.

·
Super Moderator
14,267 Posts
Just be aware that what you're paying for is not the SD card, but a license to use the intellectual property on it.

·
Registered
8,829 Posts
Just bought a 2018 Ignis sz-t so has the Bosch screen. The map card didn't come with it as standard so asked our local dealer how much for the card....£250 I kid you not.
That actually sounds cheap.
This is why i use a stick on nav unit with lifetime free maps that I bought for an amazing one off price of $200 4 years ago and get at least 4 updates a year.

In car units update maps i find are at least 12 months behind actual road changes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife's 2019 Ignis which she recently purchased came with the Bosch unit installed but the previous owner had removed the SD card. I asked the salesman how much an SD card would cost and he suggested that it was expensive and to buy from an alternative source. I have purchased this one 2021 NEW SUZUKI SLDA SAT NAV SD CARD MAP SWIFT,SX4/S-CROSS/VITARA/BALENO | eBay from ebay for £24.99. When it arrived I put it into the unit and we now have a working sat nav system.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Mobile phone data is cheap and this site is more up to date than any paid nav database I have ever seen (at least in Aus); HERE WeGo

Compare it with what you are paying for with some newly constructed land housing estates and let us know it compares.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts