Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 Ignis Sz-T auto....I elected to not have Satnav as I dont normally drive that much but now wish I had as I plan going further afield in the near future....I understand you can get it retro fitted but noticed a person commenting in the reviews on an appropriate SD Satnav update card, on Ebay, that he had purposely chosen to not have it in his new car, but simply bought a cheap update card on Ebay and just 'popped it in the slot' and it worked and he saved a considerable amount of money...
But obviously I dont know the ins and outs and whether this would work for me. I'm pretty sure I have the Bosch media and the 4 choices on the home screen atm do not include 'drive' although I'm thinking that might appear if the correct card was used. My question therefore is does anyone know if I were to purchase a card would I have a usable Satnav and what might be the risk that the other functions may be harmed in doing it this way. ? Thankyou.:unsure:

·
Registered
469 Posts
We have satnav but almost always use AppleCarPlay and either google maps or the brilliant Waze for London.

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
I have a 2018 Ignis Sz-T auto....I elected to not have Satnav as I dont normally drive that much but now wish I had as I plan going further afield in the near future....I understand you can get it retro fitted but noticed a person commenting in the reviews on an appropriate SD Satnav update card, on Ebay, that he had purposely chosen to not have it in his new car, but simply bought a cheap update card on Ebay and just 'popped it in the slot' and it worked and he saved a considerable amount of money...
But obviously I dont know the ins and outs and whether this would work for me. I'm pretty sure I have the Bosch media and the 4 choices on the home screen atm do not include 'drive' although I'm thinking that might appear if the correct card was used. My question therefore is does anyone know if I were to purchase a card would I have a usable Satnav and what might be the risk that the other functions may be harmed in doing it this way. ? Thankyou.:unsure:
Will all depend on whether that head unit has the gps antenna and components.
If they are fitted then its a firmware update, but you can "brick" the unit if you get the update process wrong

Why not buy a stick on unit, and use that?

Reactions: greyjaybee

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi and thanks for responding...there is a rear camera but I dont know about anything else I'm afraid...neither do I (being somewhat technologically challenged) understand what a 'stick on unit' means. I had envisaged possibly being able to just stick in the SD card and as if by magic I would have cheap Satnav, as the poster elsewhere seemed to be suggesting, but perhaps if there is a possibility of messing up the existing functions, I'd be better leaving well alone. I gather retro fitting CAN be done but is very pricey...

·
Registered
469 Posts
I think you can “upgrade” with an SD card but I’ve not had to do it. Others (I’m starting to think there are no “others” any more; the forum is very quiet) may be able to help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi greyjaybee, I have a 2018 Ignis SZ-T manual, I did not have sat-nav when I bought the car but I've added it by buying a map SD card from ebay. The SD card appears to be official.

I simply inserted it and the map square appeared.

The Bosch unit has a touch sensitive power button in the top left and a volume slider on the left as well as an SD card slot at the top of the unit as well as the four coloured squares in the user interface. It sounds like you do have this unit. The previous unit from the 2017 model was a Pioneer and I believe you could see the Pioneer branding on it.

If you go on ebay and search for something like "suzuki slda bosch sat nav sd card" you should find some for sale for about 25 quid, pick a seller that seems reasonable and give it a try. The sat nav on this system is a bit old fashioned and clunky but it is smooth to update and supports voice control.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi greyjaybee, I have a 2018 Ignis SZ-T manual, I did not have sat-nav when I bought the car but I've added it by buying a map SD card from ebay. The SD card appears to be official.

I simply inserted it and the map square appeared.

The Bosch unit has a touch sensitive power button in the top left and a volume slider on the left as well as an SD card slot at the top of the unit as well as the four coloured squares in the user interface. It sounds like you do have this unit. The previous unit from the 2017 model was a Pioneer and I believe you could see the Pioneer branding on it.

If you go on ebay and search for something like "suzuki slda bosch sat nav sd card" you should find some for sale for about 25 quid, pick a seller that seems reasonable and give it a try. The sat nav on this system is a bit old fashioned and clunky but it is smooth to update and supports voice control.
Oh wow, thanks so much for this info.......yes I'm pretty sure it's Bosch that I have in mine. there's no 'Pioneer' logo anywhere that I can see.... I looked on EBay and did find a couple of those cards at around the price you suggest but they are both described as 'updates' which concerned me somewhat. Are those the kind you mean ? When you first inserted yours in the slot at the top did you have to do anything else or did all the options and buttons just appear on the screen ?. This is the one I'm looking at...the seller has asked me which media I have so seems genuine. Does it look ok to you ?? Thanks so much.....
SD card.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think the one that you've posted would work, it looks like a generic version.

However, I understand that you want to minimise the risk of buying one that doesn't work and I was the same. I was suspicious of the wording in the descriptions, which made it sound like they were just an update to an already enabled system.

Anyway, this online shop (which I've used for other things and they sell genuine parts) is selling them for near the RRP: SUZUKI BOSCH SAT NAV UPGRADE CARD For Bosch Unit and the description explicitly states that it will enable sat nav, while also listing a product reference of 990E0-54P43-000. I had a quick search for that product reference on ebay and you'll see results for the Suzuki version of the card, which is labelled "upgrade kit".

I've attached a pic I've just taken a few minutes ago of the actual card I used to upgrade mine (it's the 2018 version) and the wording on the label is the same as the ones that appear on eBay. I think this is as certain as you're going to get :)

When you first inserted yours in the slot at the top did you have to do anything else or did all the options and buttons just appear on the screen ?
I didn't have to do anything else, after a short time the blue tile just changed to the sat nav version. I seem to remember that I inserted the card before starting the car.

IMG_0792.jpg

·
Registered
486 Posts
When I complained a year ago about the out-of-date maps in my 2018 SZ5 the dealer kindly swapped the card with one from a 2019 car that they'd had to replace the head unit in. So this is what I have presently which looks to be a version older than the one offered to greyjaybee

20200716_171625~2.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts