Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1988 Samurai that I have been having a lot of issues with. From the time I got the car it never idled extremely smooth but it really ran great otherwise. Last year I replaced the water pump (because the tensioner on the alternator broke and left the bolt in the bracket on the pump) but after that the rough idle became bad enough that the car wouldn't idle at all once it warms up. I had a mechanic look at it and they found a few vaccum leaks and it seemed it was all fixed up. Just last week the car started doing the same thing all of a sudden and I'm not back to not being able to drive it. The car runs absolutely fine when cold but as soon as it warms up it will not idle. If you are driving and you push in the clutch and take your foot of the gas for a couple seconds it will stall.

It seems to me that the choke piston is functioning properly as I can see it moving in and out on it's own as needed. I have found that if I use a screwdriver and manually close the butterfly most of the way (with everything in tact) the idle will smooth out perfectly.

I also noticed that the actuator for the fast idle doesn't seem to be moving in any condition. I have turned the lights on and it still doesn't budge. Is it possible that the car is idling rough because it should be in a fast idle state?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
16 Posts
have it checked I had the same issue check the hoses that go to the carburetor if any of those is out of place it doen't work properly these cars don't have idle sensor so everything is about carburetor

1 - 2 of 2 Posts