Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I recently went through a head gasket, when I let my brother install it, he forgot to punch out the holes in the new head gasket before installing it.
So I went back in and did the head gasket correctly. Afterwards, I flushed the entire cooling system (a bunch of junk came out) then buttoned it back up. I ended up replacing the radiator, the water pump and all the gaskets. I just added an electric fan and got rid of the stock fan clutch.

I started it up and it ran fine, let it get to operating tempature and it held nicely. So I decided I would go around the block a few times to test it out.

I was about 3 miles away from my house, and I started to notice the temp gauge was rising.

I went another mile before the temp guage made me worry enough to pull over.

I took my towell and slowly opened up the radiator and noticed that there was NO WATER inside.

When I filled it back up, it was very slow to start. I then revved it up from the engine bay and saw that water was spitting out the overflow tube.

What does this mean? I have replaced the radiator, fan, water pump, fluids, and gaskets.
The timing is at 10* TDC and has no smoke.

Any ideas/help?!

Thank you! :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just added an electric fan and got rid of the stock fan.
This right here.
what size electric fan?
what volume of air can it push?

did you properly bleed the coolant system?
I like to run the heater and drive around and recheck the coolant level.

if its full though and you are spewing its definitely overheating.

I would start by putting the old fan back on.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it is a 2250 CFM, 14" its identical to the Flex-a-Lite fans.
What do you mean by properly bleed the coolant system?
The heater was on high when I first noticed the temp guage rising.

But, even when cold, I can rev it up and the water pushes out of the overflow tube.

P.S. It has a new raditaor cap as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
To bleed I usually drive with the heater on and I try to stay close to home in case something happens. drive it. let it sit once it has cooled check the fill level and try again. if air is trapped it will overheat rather quickly if its a big enough air pocket.

I would also test the thermostat. throw it in a pot of boiling water and see if it opens and how much.

I would also pressure test the system

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The thermostat does work, there was no air pockets, I let it warm all the way up with the raditaor cap off, then was able to watch it flow through, no chuncks anywhere or crazy pressure.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The thermostat does work, there was no air pockets, I let it warm all the way up with the raditaor cap off, then was able to watch it flow through, no chuncks anywhere or crazy pressure.
I don't quite understand. did you pressure test the system with a pressure tester? did you pull the thermostat out and watch it open? did you test the cap (even though it was new) We can't assume anything.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm not 100% sure but its possible they are different because in late 1988 they "tuned" the engine. I am unsure if that included a different head or block but I would think not. My concern is that the coolant passage is blocked. How long does it take to overheat?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
its not the 88.5, if that helps. lol

it takes about 3 miles (5 mins approx) from being cold.

but it will not overheat, and I do see the water pump pushing the coolant like crazy..
I don't think there is a problem with the cooling system, but a problem with the amount of pressure in the cooling system.
I just cannot figure out what is causing it. ):

·
Registered
149 Posts
Mine had that same problem, spewing coolant out of the overflow tube when revved.
The radiator cap was no longer holding as much pressure.
Swapped it out and problem was gone.
Hope this helps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts