Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, Just bought a samurai for pretty cheap actually and the engine has a knock which of course I know is not good and the guy said he set the valves and everything looked good on top. What I am wondering is The know gets a lot quieter with load on it, I.E. 4th gear and when you let off the accelerator it gets loud when when your cruising at just an idle the knock is super quiet. He said the distributor is messed up/. He says the vacuum advance is causing the knock. Is this possible? To me it sounds like a rod but every time I have heard a rod knocking its never gotten quiet under load like that. it has always gotten worse. What else I was wondering, is there a vin decoder to figure out what engine I have? How easy is it to just pick up a cheap new engine for these things? Everything else is oustanding condition.

·
Super Moderator
17,871 Posts
You need to stethoscope probe for the sound origin.

If main or connecting rod bearings, oil pressure readings will aid in diagnosing. Trying a higher weight oil may mask the noise and help to confirm excessive bearing clearances too. ;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have a stethoscope, however oil pressure I think was ok. What oil do these take? Can they be bored out and have bigger pistons and handle that?

·
Super Moderator
17,871 Posts
5W-30 is the norm. Heavier weights, depending on climate.

Sure, they can be bored and fitted with standard oversize pistons / rings (assuming the bores are standard size now and the amount of current wear doesn't exceed the machining clean-up needs). Main and con rod bearings as well.

You can't guess at your oil pressure stats. An accurate gauge, cold and hot engine, at idle and 3000 RPM specs is what one needs to evaluate the engine's oiling. ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
An old trick is to take one plug wire off and start and drive it. See if the knock goes away. If not, put that wire back on and try the next one.

Without an ignition load a rod knock will usually be much quieter.

If you don't see any difference with any of the 4 wires, I doubt it is a rod doing the knocking.

·
Super Moderator
17,871 Posts
So true! :)

Along those lines...acceleration knocking is usually MAIN bearing related. Deceleration knocking, con rods. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts