Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister died and left me her 1986 Samurai. I tried Kelly Blue Book to see if I could find a value, but they don't go back that far. Does anyone know how I can determine the sale value of the car? Its in great shape and still drives very well. Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
it depends on where you live. As an on-road vehicle, there isn't a lot of interest in them because of their lack of internal space and poor on-road preformance and handling. As an off road vehicle, you can't beat a samurai. If you live in a location where there are a lot of off road wheelers, you could get maybe $3K to $4K for a stock samurai in good condition. If you live in an area where there isn't a lot of off road enthusiasts, you will probably be looking at $1500 to $2000.

This is assuming that it's in mint condition. If it looks run down and has minor mechanical issues then you can shave $1000 off of that price. If it has major mechanical issues, then you're looking at a selling price between $300 and Free.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for that info. I happen to live in south Louisiana, where there are a lot of off-roaders. The car has less than 100,000 miles and is in really good shape. My sister rarely drove it, but her husband maintained it and started and drove it on occassion. I'm thinking of placing an ad for it in the local paper to sell it. Is there anywhere else you think I should place an ad? Perhaps somewhere on this or another site?

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Craiglslist(free) and ebay(large audience). Good luck

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thank you for that info. I happen to live in south Louisiana, where there are a lot of off-roaders. The car has less than 100,000 miles and is in really good shape. My sister rarely drove it, but her husband maintained it and started and drove it on occasion. I'm thinking of placing an ad for it in the local paper to sell it. Is there anywhere else you think I should place an ad? Perhaps somewhere on this or another site?
post some pics here and you might get a bite, also find a few local 4x4 clubs, they seem to appreciate the worth of the vehicle more then the norm. city folk! On a side note the local paper unless it's free is a waste everyone goes on-line these days! I had a friend fly to Fla. "on a vacation" after finding a mint condition. Samurai with the bigger engine....forget the yr off hand, and drive it back to Minnesota where he immediately installed a lift and 31" tires a set of tube bumpers and a winch then sold it for $12,000 to some college kid!

·
Super Moderator
17,825 Posts
NADA says...

1986 Suzuki Samurai 2 Door Hardtop 4WD

Original MSRP: $6,700
Low Retail- Average Retail- High Retail
$750 $1,500 $2,275

Options
Hard Top + $100 $125 $150
TOTAL PRICE $850 $1,625 $2,425

Low Retail Value
This vehicle would be in mechanically functional condition, needing only minor reconditioning. The exterior paint, trim, and interior would show normal wear, needing only minor reconditioning. May also be a deteriorated restoration or a very poor amateur restoration. Most usable "as-is".

Some of the vehicles in this publication could be considered "Daily Drivers" and are not valued as a classic vehicle. When determining a value for a daily driver, it is recommended that the subscriber use the low retail value.
Note: This value does not represent a "parts car".

Average Retail Value
This vehicle would be in good condition overall. It could be an older restoration or a well-maintained original vehicle. Completely operable. The exterior paint, trim, and mechanics are presentable and serviceable inside and out. A "20-footer".

High Retail Value
This vehicle would be in excellent condition overall. It could be a completely restored or an extremely well maintained original vehicle showing very minimal wear. The exterior paint, trim, and mechanics are not in need of reconditioning. The interior would be in excellent condition. Note: This value does not represent a "100 Point" or "# 1" vehicle *.

Classic Car Values ? NADA Classics Pricing Information ? Car appraisal Book Values

·
Registered
149 Posts
+1 for craigslist.
good website to check to see what others are selling like items for and also selling stuff yourself. ALWAYS do cash and carry, dont get scammed by sending items or money from someone off of craigslist.
I've sold everything from motorcycle parts, motorcycles trailer, motorcycles, car, tool box..... all types of stuff with zero issues.

Good luck with the sale. You might list it on a bunch of Samurai forums or link it here and I am sure some of the members here will pass it along.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts