Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all I bough a SAMURAI last week for restore (real cheap $250.00) is a 1987 and it has being standing with out work for like 3 years ,and I has being doing some work on it ,and the engine and the transmition looks fine but the transfer case is not transferring the power to the rear or front axe ,and is on N position and I an unable to move the stick to any position like H 4wd or L 4WD or H 2wd , can you tell me if this is common problem and the procedure to fix the problem .
Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
try reversing in 4H for about 10m then stop the car and try put it back in then.

Iv had the same problem and this seems to fix it all the time

·
Registered
29 Posts
Transfer case problem

Don't worry this is an easy fix. What's happened is the bush which keeps the transfer case gear lever in position has disintegrated and allowed the gear lever to drop leaving the transfer case stuck in neutral. You can fix this from inside the cab, no need to remove the T case or even get under the vehicle. Don't know how much a new bush will cost you but here in Australia it's between 15 and 20 dollars depending on where you buy it. The way to replace the bush is:

1 Remove T case gear knob.
2 Remove the screws holding the T case gear lever boot and remove the boot.
3 Remove the smaller boot from the top of the T case where the lever attaches to the T case.
4 Push down and turn the lock ring holding the gear lever in position, it's a bayonet fitting.
5 Lift the gear lever out.
6 Install the new bush in its seat, you'll be able to see where it goes.
7 Installation of the gear lever is the reverse of removing it.

This shouldn't take more then an hour all up. If there are any remnants of the old bush in the seat make sure you remove them otherwise you won't be able to push the lock ring down far enough to lock it.

I had the same problem with my T case about ten years ago after crossing a big river in Nth QLD. No matter what I did I couldn't get it in gear. I ended up removing the gear lever and changing into 4H by shifting the selectors with a screwdriver. Crude but it did the job.

Hope this helps you out.

Cheers
Footloose

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot for your help I already order the bushing and I think that I will get it by Monday and cost me like $13.00 USD so not a big thing ,as soon as I get al do all the procedure that you describe and I let you guys know if this is the solution
Thanks a lot
;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi to all
Thanks footloose I already fix the problem ,as you describe the neoprene bushing was the solution I did all the procedure that you describe and the car is working
Thanks again to all for your help this forum I better that the best repair manual than you can get

:D

·
Registered
29 Posts
G'day Virgopelo,

Glad to read that you've got your Suzi going again. Glad that I was able to help you. How long did it take you to put the new bush in? You shouldn't have any problems like this in the future as the new bush is made of a different material to what the original one was. If by chance you do, you know how to fix it.

Cheers
Footloose

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi footloose to fix the problem I spend like 30 minutes because I had some difficulties screwing the metal lock ring cover but everything was real easy especially because since I an doing a general rebuilt at the car ,it was with out the carpet and the gear boot ,but the compartment it was completely full of water and mug , by the way do you know if you need to add oil the part where the shifter go or if it will be lubricated from the oil from the transfer I don’t add any other lubricant
Thanks again for your help .

Cheers
Virgopelo

·
Registered
29 Posts
G'day Virgopelo,

The gear shifter is lubricated by the oil in the transfer case, no need to add any extra oil unless you drained the transfer case. Good to read that you fixed your problem in 30 mins.

Cheers
Footloose

·
Registered
6 Posts
man i love these forums just spent all day mobbin the sami and when i got home i also couldnt move the shifter.. (tow it its not street legal) i shall have to get a new part and swap it in ... does anyone out there have that twin shifter that is 2 knobs to switch in and out of 4x4 .. if so is it worth it ? and what is that bushing called is it just a transfer case shift bushing or will i have to look it up by some part number ?

·
Registered
39 Posts
hey guys, new here. first sammy just over 24 hours now and same shite. I followed footloose's directions and can't even see the bushing. did it grenade? lots of little pieces and what looks to be a rubber seal at the bottom of the gully. Can somebody post or send me a PM with pic?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Oh ya, so what did I do wrong. not sure if i went through the wrong shifting sequence? clutch in/out? transmission in nuetral or not? I noticed a couple of wires comming from the transfer case right near the shifter, what are they for............:confused: Oh just answered my own question on that, 4WD light on dash. DAH!:huh: can anybody tell me if a specific shifting sequence?

·
Registered
182 Posts
If it's difficult to get it back into 2H, is that any indication that this bushing is on its way out, or does it just suddenly quit working altogether?

·
Registered
39 Posts
were can i get this bushing?. i went to several of my local auto parts stores and no dice. They don't even have a picture of it. is this a internet only part?, sayI take it to a repair shop for repairs, will they have to order the bushing on line or do they have a place to call locally? I dumnfounded. I live in Murrieta(Riverside) Ca. if that helps?

Also, i could not get it in gear, say I removed the cover and exposed the shift shaft, can it be pursuaded to go in to gear with a perssuader tool?

Got stranded last night with my kids in the truck, luckily we were only blocks from home, I pushed it:mad:

Thanks, Dube2

·
Registered
39 Posts
were can i get this bushing?. i went to several of my local auto parts stores and no dice. They don't even have a picture of it. is this a internet only part?, sayI take it to a repair shop for repairs, will they have to order the bushing on line or do they have a place to call locally? I dumnfounded. I live in Murrieta(Riverside) Ca. if that helps?

Also, i could not get it in gear, say I removed the cover and exposed the shift shaft, can it be pursuaded to go in to gear with a perssuader tool?

Got stranded last night with my kids in the truck, luckily we were only blocks from home, I pushed it:mad:

Thanks, Dube2
Found one:) I bought two just in case. Keep the spare in thje glove since it's so easy to replace. it'll be here on tuesday, let you guys know how it goes.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hey Dube,
Did you find it online? If so, and it was that difficult to find, why don't you post a link to where you found it?
Thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey Dube,
Did you find it online? If so, and it was that difficult to find, why don't you post a link to where you found it?
Thanks
AH! my bad. it was a local dealer in Santa Ana, CA. Didn't even know they had Suzuki dealers anymore. But just a few minutes ago, I found another web-site. I'm new to these trucks, but found Petroworks.com. I would have ordered thiers because its Polyuathane and not that cheap OEM shite. Found the same one on e-bay, but didn't want to order somthing from India... :(

·
Registered
448 Posts
Hi footloose to fix the problem I spend like 30 minutes because I had some difficulties screwing the metal lock ring cover but everything was real easy especially because since I an doing a general rebuilt at the car ,it was with out the carpet and the gear boot ,but the compartment it was completely full of water and mug , by the way do you know if you need to add oil the part where the shifter go or if it will be lubricated from the oil from the transfer I don’t add any other lubricant
Thanks again for your help .

Cheers
Virgopelo
Hi Virgopelo,

You might want to change the transfer case shifter sheet (or busing), an easy and effective solution to prevent that from happening again. There are Poly bushings and Brass, both are good but I'd go for the Brass, will outlive the car.

It is the seat on which the shifter sits, and it is most likely completely worn out in your car.
LOW RANGE OFFROAD

1 - 20 of 33 Posts