Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the Samurai world and recently purchased an '88. It is already lifted with 31 inch tires and I want to re-gear the transfer case. The problem is that I am bit intimidated to take on the task myself. I do all the work on my vehicles but have never messed with drive shafts, gearing or anything of the such. Is there any shop in the San Diego area, besides petroworks, to do the change out if I order the gears online? (Petroworks is out of the gears and wants $500 bucks to do the swap out if I bring in my own parts.)

If I decide to do it myself, do I need a press, is it difficult???

Any help would be VERY appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hope This Helps

I too am interested in installing my own gears and being a good mechanic but never did gearing so i kept looking around and want to go with the 6.5 to 1 gearing with stock rears and 29" tires. To me it looks pretty straight forward and not too complicated
Hope this helps.... let me know what you think.
Joe

Trail Creeper 6.5 Samurai Gear Instructions

·
Registered
278 Posts
Not an terribly tough job.
Any transmission shop could do it for you. Hell call AMCO.
Lowrainge will have the gears for you.
6.50-1 gears are pretty tall for 29" tires...That is , unless you like the slow, slow lane.
...Boxcar...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Not an terribly tough job.
Any transmission shop could do it for you. Hell call AMCO.
Lowrainge will have the gears for you.
6.50-1 gears are pretty tall for 29" tires...That is , unless you like the slow, slow lane.
...Boxcar...
After i wrote the post i kept thinking it over and that may be too low for my tires and the 4:16 to 1 as another member suggested to me in another post probably is a better setup for me as i need to ride the Interstate about 12 miles to get to the Arizona Bradshaw mountains area..... Doing the job myself is not about saving money but the feeling of accomplishment of doing it myself and the link i supplied above of the job really looks doable for me. I also want to try my hand at installing Lockers in the Front differential as that doesn't look too hard either and a friend said to do that first before the TC
Joe

·
Registered
173 Posts
Lockers are a piece of cake.
I'd recommend a Spartan locker up front and a spool in the rear.
...Boxcar...
Thanks Boxcar...... That's the same answer i got from a few of the locals here. The Spartan Lockers up front would not click when hubs are unlocked for street use.......the lockers in the rear pop a lot going around corners and the spool is supposed to be better like you say but do them tires squeal real bad going around corners on the street?....... sure wish i could swing the air lockers.
thanks for your help,
Joe

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yes as with any posi set up in the rear, you will have wear issues and the rig will push in slow cornering maneuvers. Well worth the added traction and control off road...Boxcar

·
Registered
173 Posts
Thanks for the info boxcar..... I'm getting off subject and hope iLowe found the link i supplied for changing gearing in the TC useful..... I know i did and see it as a "Can Do" Project.
Joe

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I have found awesome instructions on how to change the gears in the transfer case once it is out of the vehicle. But what about removing the case itself? Any instructions, tips or advice out there? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the link Joe! Ill be tackling the project next week and Ill let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Thanks for the link Joe! Ill be tackling the project next week and Ill let you know how it goes.
I'll be looking forward to hear how it goes for you..... as for taking the TC out i read another post where they said they put a jack in front and a jack behind the cross member mount and then take the mount out...... I haven't done it yet but it sure makes sense to hold it in place while taking the crossmember off.
Joe

·
Registered
173 Posts
You'll laugh but i've already took four speed transmissions out of old muscle cars onto my chest and then couldn't lift it off and had to call for help..... I never did own a transmission jack LOL
Good Luck on the rebuild and really itchin to know what gears you put in and how you like it on the Highway doing 65mph and in the trails over rocks etc
Being i only have 29" tires i will probably go with Spartan Lockers up front for my first move..... rear differential probably a spool but need to investigate more.
I've owned every large vehicle imaginable and this little zuk bring me way more Joy:hyper:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts