Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a good mechanic or garage in Texas? I have a couple of trackers and a Samurai that needs a bit of work. I have had a Very bad experience with a very good transmission garage but they didn't make it work correctly. I have attempted to make the repairs however I just don't have the skill. thanks - pegleg dave

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,255 Posts
Are you going to share?

What issues do you have??

..... Philip

·
Super Moderator
18,413 Posts
Do you want to narrow down an area location? I can recall driving two, eight hour days, JUST to get from one (east / west) side to the other! It's BIG country out there Dave. ;)

·
Super Moderator
24,449 Posts
Are you going to share?

What issues do you have??

..... Philip
x2. Advise what issues you have - some may be simple enough to deal with, with the proper information.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you bet
1. zuk is stuck 5th gear. yes I have visited with various vendors that sell the plastic inserts they have listened to the issues and all have said that replacing the inserts won't fix the issue. he last time I sent my tracker to a very good transmission shop. they set their hair on fire keep it 2 weeks and were unable to remedy the issue but at cost of $1k. I am in need of someone who knows the issues of trackers /zukis, and not go on an exploration of discovery.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if the guy is good enough I will make the drive. yes Texas is large so or my issues no one has ever been able to turn me on to a mechanic or shop that is hip to them. just thoughts for FIY

·
Super Moderator
24,449 Posts
Can you give a bit more detail....When you say car is stuck in 5th, is it the lever stuck, or the tranny remains in 5th regardless of lever position? Can you move the lever at all? What happens when you depress the clutch - is the tranny still engaged? Give as much detail as you can - all your symptoms, and perhaps exactly what you were doing when the problem first arose.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
depress clutch it will roll. the Shift leaver is "stuck" or locked in 5. When I purchased the vehicle I drove it and as I shifted into 5th it "clunked" and locked in 5th. the lever will not move. I got lots of good responses explaining that I only needed a Plastic insert (bushing)and all was going to be great. I contacted three different vendors and explained issues each said it would require something more than a simple fix. I put the project aside and now attempting to locate a KNOWLEDGABLE zuki repair facility. if it is close by great if I have travel great I just would like to get it repaired.

·
Super Moderator
24,449 Posts
The clunk doesn't sound tremendously promising. I'm assuming that you have already checked the tranny fluid - and found it to be at the proper level, without a burning smell, and nice and red, rather than brown.
Normally, the plastic bushings in the shift lever application will make it difficult to shift into gear. It is easy enough to see if this is the problem - the gear shifter is removed from inside the car - removing the boot around the lever, the plate that holds all, and then pushing down on the lever, turning counterclockwise (to unlock it) and pulling up. The assembly is then visible, and you would be able to see if there is a problem there.
Transmissions are quite complex, but aside from the transmission itself, the gears, etc., within it, there is also a gear shift lever case that attaches to the rear of the tranny, which may or may not be part of your problem.
Do you have any idea what tests were done at the tranny shops? Most tranny information may well be beyond the scope of this forum.
The diagram for the shifter is here:
http://www.suzuki-forums.com/attachments/suzuki-sidekick-escudo-vitara-geo-tracker/12990d1325851324-94-tracker-2wd-wont-stay-fifth-shift-stick.jpg
And there is quite a bit of info here, some of which refers to the parts in the diagram above:
http://www.suzuki-forums.com/suzuki-sidekick-escudo-vitara-geo-tracker/22023-90-tracker-shifter-3.html
One elementary suggestion is to remove the shifter, put a screwdriver into the hole, and see if you can shift the car out of gear. But much more info above in the link

1 - 10 of 10 Posts