Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...I give up. How do you get the wiper assemble out of an 88 samurai soft top? it looks like you have to take the entire windshield off. Chilton is not help.

Thanks

·
Registered
212 Posts
There is a plastic cover above the glove compartment.
Pry that off and u will see the wiper motor.
Follow the housing and find the bolts holding it in.
Remember or mark where the drive knob is so that u can put the wiper motor back that way. Otherwise it will seem like it will not fit.
The wires are a plug clip. Cannot be put back wrong...won't fit.
U can take the w/s off but it is not necessary.
U will have to take that little plastic cover off to get the w/s off anyways.
It helped me to drop the glove box down to see all the 'stuff' there.
U do not need to disassemble the hood release.
Just undo it at the hood lock mechanism and pull it far enough out to drop the glovebox down some to see behind it.
Hope this helps.
arlo

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not the wiper motor, the actuator arm

Hey Arlo

Thanks...but I need to get the actual wiper actuator arm off. I stripped the "bolt" that holds it into the windshield cowl. I read part of a thread somewhere that said that you have to take the entire windshield cowl apart.... (a) I want to confirm that is true and (b) I am hoping that someone can give me some direction on best way to do it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm having a similar problem. I;m painting my 87 Sami and I cant get the wiper blade off the splined shaft on the outside of the car. I assume I need a small gear puller if some kind but so far I haven't found one. Any ideas?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Whatever you do, don't damage the arms as it isn't easy finding replacements.

Try to spray PB Blaster down the bolts so that it will hopefully seep down the splines. Do this in the parked position and at the 12 o'clock position. Let it set overnight.

Since the metal is fairly thin, try lightly tapping it all around with a brass or hard plastic hammer, as this might break loose some of the corrosion.

With the wipers at the 12 o'clock position, place a small 1/2"-3/4" thick block of wood on each side of the wiper arm. I taped mine in place. Then place a couple of flat-bladed screwdrivers on each side to pry the arm straight up. You need to make sure that you use equal pressure on each side to reduce the chance of binding.

If this doesn't work, then maybe someone else has a better method, but it did work for me.

When re-assembling, use white marine grease on the splines so it doesn't happen again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm glad I asked. I assumed that I could get a new wiper, no problem. I was about to sacrifice the blade in order to get it off. I guess I'll have to do it the hard way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts