Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my 1989's actuator no longer holds vacuum, I decided to "disassemble" it. The diaphragm seems to be made of some kind of vinyl impregnated material - very thin. Mine has cracks where it folds in the backside that eventual worked thru. Had to hold it close to a bare lightbulb with a magnifying glass to find the hole. Dealer says these are discontinued parts, carb rebuilders that claim to sale parts are hording used ones. Think I can fix it?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
couldn't hurt to try. I'd wipe it down with alcohol, and use a spray sealant like they sell at home depot. seal the side opposite the vacuum side, so that the air pressure is pulling the patch into the back of the diaphragm instead of pulling it off the front of the diaphragm.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried a permatex product on just the cracks, was a no go and peeled off easily even after cleaning w/ alcohol. Will try that flex seal spray on it.
Bought some parts on ebay from a guy who went weber, complete carb and air cleaner. The secondary is now replaced and working.
Also bought a $21 Quick Fuel adjustable actuator for a holly 2bbl carb. The arm is shorter but it could be installed with a fabbed bracket - just an option, not sure of the results.

Btw, are you the same Baratacus from the SD surf forum?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
A lot of these actuators and valves work the same as other models and makes, and most can probably be rigged to fit and function. I've got a generic one-way jet from the "HELP" section of autozone on my decelerator mixture control, and a one way valve from a Kia Sportage on my hot air intake line. I'm a hopeless "Rigging" nut. If it was me I'd be doing the same thing.

and yep, I'm the same Baratacus from SD surf.:thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts