Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I've been reading threads on loss of power etc and am a bit lost. Hope someone could help me walk through my issue...

Sami has been driving great... then while in 3rd, it sputtered and I lost a lot of power. Had to down shift and sorta limped home. Now I have to rev it up a lot to get it going in first, there is an almost stall moment when going into second etc. And driving around, the RPM is super high just to get it going.

It idles and starts just fine. Clutch doesn't feel like it's slipping. New fuel filter. New fuel lines. So I am guessing somewhere in the carburetor but I am a total carburetor noob.

Can someone advise or point in me in the right direction? I've been pouring through the manual and Haynes guide... but no luck.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
1: what model and year?

2: toss the Haynes manual as far as you can. I find them to be about the same level as the chiltons ones, which is near on useless and very misleading in a lot of cases.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ha. Yes. It's been very difficult to understand that manual.

It's an 87 Suzuki Samurai with the stock 1.3 engine... ~ 130K mi. Stock everything.

Other things to note in the last 2 years... new muffler and cat, new distrb cap, wires and spark. All fluids changed earlier this year (transmission, transfer, engine, diff). It was running like a top before this.

And the other thing is... it was under strain up a pretty steep hill, which I've gone over plenty of times, that the Sami stuttered and lost power.

Thanks... been poking around all morning with no luck. Fearing will have to go into a shop tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
only 3 things to make an engine run, air, fuel and fire. Getting the ratios right is the key. stupid question, but had you just filled up within the last couple of days before this happened? Its sounding like either a blocked carb or possibly water in the fuel. when did you replace the fuel filter last?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm. The engine runs... I can sorta drive it. But looking online for diagnostics... would say it has excessive idle speed. So it revs really hard where it didn't used to be like that.

And no... I hadn't filled up. The tank is at half right now. Fuel filter was changed last year.

Thanks for your help. Noticed your in New Zealand... been there many times. Beautiful country!

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Sounds like it has a bit of dirt somewhere.....

and thanks for the comment, I'm lucky to live here, it is a beautiful country, but over run with those damn Swifts, we need more GV's here!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well... just went to drive it around after checking the vacuum hoses, taking off the air horn and the looking for anything stuck or dirty. I believe the carb was rebuilt by previous owner maybe 3-4 years ago. It was pretty clean.

Still same problem. Maybe it's my head but there is just much less power at high RPM's. I haven't taken it on the highway but went up to 45mph in 3rd at it was like 4K -5K RPM. Seems to rev fine in neutral.

It feels like when I press on the gas, there is no power although the truck revs.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am not buying carburetor problems... Normally a carburetor won't just instantly "fail" like that. I could be wrong, but not characteristic.

The first thing that came to my mind is that your timing belt slipped. 130K miles? It's over due. If it slipped, then your timing is way off now. That would definitely result in power loss. Luckily these are non interference engines...

My second thought is that your coil is going out, so it's not producing enough spark.

I don't think it's clutch related. Because the engine would run normally, and you would feel that it isn't gripping.
Gas could be culprit, but normally if it's fuel related, it doesn't want to run at all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a friend that has the exact same problem. He was driving it around like normal and they heard what sounded like a bolt bouncing around in the engine compartment and it had a decent vibration for a moment. They stopped, shut it off, opened the hood and saw nothing. They fired it back up, no noise and idled and revved fine in neutral.
Then as they took off again they noticed that it now revs very slowly (in gear), and can not get it above 50 mph.

We tested all four cylinders at 145psi with 120k mi and 4000 ft level. Although not as high as I would like, it is dead even all the way across. Exhaust is brand new from the manifold back. Clutch does not slip. Ignition timing is dead on (If the belt skipped would this be off?)

Thanks for letting me hijack this post a tad but maybe we can get all of this figured out between us?

We are going to test the cat right now. If nothing we are going to inspect the timing belt.

·
Registered
193 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had a similar problem. I had replaced the cat about a year before and it went bad again. As soon as I replaced it. All power was restored. May work for you also. Good luck!

·
Registered
111 Posts
It sounds like the timing belt!

I had a similar problem with my '86.

It only jumped a tooth or two, but had very little power while driving but neutral was just fine.

I would check that! the timing belts are super cheap and easy to come by.

(also easy to install) But make sure to double check you are not 180* off timing like I was, itll eat your cam quick haha

best of luck.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Was the issue resolved?

If it has not and its not the fuel pump or timing belt...check to see if you getting a strong spray (or any) when you have accelerator pedal depressed. A faulty accelerator pump piston can also give you the symptoms you describe.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts