Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a set of Cibie H4 halogen headlights and a set of Cibie Oscar Plus driving lights for the Sammie.

Is there anything special about the Samurai headlight wiring? I'm planning to order a relay harness to deliver full voltage to the headlights. Just wanting to make sure something like a Painless H4 harness will be plug and play.

Also, I'm looking at mounting options for the driving lights. My two main options seem to be on the bumper or at the base of the windshield using a bracket like this;

for a position that would look like this;

I like the idea of keeping the lights further up, but am concerned that reflection from the hood might be bothersome. Any experiences with this light position? Would it be better to mount them to the bumper?

·
Super Moderator
12,248 Posts
Is there anything special about the Samurai headlight wiring? I'm planning to order a relay harness to deliver full voltage to the headlights. Just wanting to make sure something like a Painless H4 harness will be plug and play.
As a matter of fact there is - Suzuki uses switched grounds on the headlights - which sort of guarantees that most after market harness will need modification.

Essentially you need to rewire the relay coil and possibly the dash indicator light - for most vehicles one end of the relay coil is connected to ground and the other end goes to the switch and through it to either the high (spot) or low (fog) beam wire - for a Suzuki, it has to be wired one end to +12V and the other through the switch to the high/low beam wire.

Several of the Suzuki related websites have diagrams posted - and many Suzukis ship prewired, requiring only the addition of the lights a relay and the switch.

Edit.

The above was posted on the assumption you want to wire the new lamps up - re-reading your post, it looks like you want to use relays with the headlamps themselves - that is going to need custom wiring - there are a couple of threads over on the Team Swift forum that document this - different vehicle, same concept.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

So the driving-light wiring may already be there? That would be nice. At least save that complication...

Sounds like I have work to do on the headlights. I actually have a partially built headlight harness that I never completed for my Impala. Guess I'll use it since an off-the shelf one will be problematic anyway....

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I've got my off road lights at the base of the windshield like the ones you pictured. I don't have any issues with them reflecting off the hood. I do like the position and the ability to reach out and adjust their aim if I need to see something that they aren't pointed at. When I lift my hood, I just set it back against the windsheild. If you do the same, and don't want your hood laying against your lights, you'll need an extended rubber bumper across the top of the windshield frame.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts