Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking to purchase a lift kit for my 86 Tin top Samurai. I have been focused on Calimini. They seem to have everything in their kits that I would need such as springs,shocks.....etc. I herd a rumor the other day though that Calimini shocks ride very stiff and are not adequate for the lite Samurai's. Can anyone comment on that? My Samurai is a daily driver I'm looking for a 5 in suspension lift preferbly spring under axle (herd that is better for on road) anyone have any suggestions from which to choose trying to stay under $1,000.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
If you want a smooth on-road ride get a Jeep YJ conversion. The calmini kits use short stock length springs. Any short spring is going to give you a hard ride. The calmini shocks are designed for hard offroading and a heavy rig with bumpers, cages, winches.. etc. The kit is built tough as nails but it's not designed for comfort. I have a 5" spring under axel reverse shackle lift from them. I just changed my shocks to monromatics (17 bucks/shock) and my calmini lift rides a little smoother. It's still stiff though but that's due to the short springs.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
shouldnt any yj springs fit a zuk cause
Not sure what that was supposed to mean, but YJ springs are wider and longer than samurai springs. You need a shackle and hanger to accomodate the wider spring, and you need to relocate the mounts for the hanger and shackle to accomodate for the longer spring.

·
Registered
3 Posts
yeah sorry i don't know why the rest of the text didn't show up...
I was saying shouldn't they work with any reverse shackle set up?...
the cheapest way to lift i found was a shackle lift with spacer...using the original springs... that's cheap... haha

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
even a RS setup, if it's not made for the YJ springs will need to be adapted for the wider spring and relocated.

Extended shackle and spacer is a cheap lift, (first one I did 15 years ago was an extended shackle lift) they are unstable though and have poor handling characteristics. It will let you stuff a bigger tire under it though, and that was all I was concerned about at the time. Eventually I realized I needed a safer ride and better articulation

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not sure what that was supposed to mean, but YJ springs are wider and longer than samurai springs. You need a shackle and hanger to accomodate the wider spring, and you need to relocate the mounts for the hanger and shackle to accomodate for the longer spring.
i've seen how they installed YJ springs in a SpOA system,is it still possible to fit the original under axle spring?and does it change the original wheelbase?if it's so,what else should be modified?thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts