Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried doing some searched in this forum for something similar but I don't think I'm coming up with the right search terms.

First, some background. Approx 4 or 5 months ago my 88 samurai got me to where I was going but when I came out and tried to start the vehicle it refused to start. After lots of checking I pulled the ignition fuse out and found it to be melted. After replacing the fuse the car ran but I had to tap on the fuse block before starting. I made 2 stops on the way home and the car ran fine but when I started the car at each of those stops I had to tap the fuse block before it would succesfully start up. The next day at home I pulled the fuse block off and found the contacts for the ignition fuse to be heavily corroded which was obviously the reason for the need for tapping. My solution to this was to just get an in-line fuse holder and use that instead of the slot on the fuse block. After doing that modification I had no similar problems.

Now, here I am months later and I decide that I'm going to convert to an electric fuel pump and, of course, I need a place to power that pump and I decide that taking it off of the in-line fuse makes the most sense since it's only powered when the ignition switch is in run or start positions. Before making the connection tho I wanted to verify that the operation was what I assumed it would be and I found that the ignition fuse is getting 0.7 volts while the car is turned off and then getting the full 12 volts when in run or start positions. I'm assuming this can't be good and when I installed the fuel pump I decided that it would really be less good if I let low voltage go to the pump at all times so I used a relay to ensure the pump only gets power when the ignition switch is in run or start positions. Aside from the normal issues that I've been working through and continually troubleshooting the vehicle still runs ok and I haven't ran into a dead battery even after leaving it sit for a week or more but.... why would I be getting voltage to that fuse while the ignition switch is turned off and what types of problems could this be causing... or am I totally misguided and for some reason the samurai should be getting that low voltage

1 - 2 of 2 Posts