Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1986 suzuki samurai that has a rattle in the top end and seems to be valves because of lack of power, i was wondering if any body knew how to adjust the valves before i pull the valve cover

·
Registered
28 Posts
With a cold engine set the intake 0.13-0.17mm and set the exhaust 0.16-0.20mm Make sure each cylinder is on top dead center when adjustments are made, Check and then double check. If they are too tight you could burn the valves.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If the rattle is that bad, check for a broken valve spring too. Valve adjustments are very easy on the Samis, takes no time, if the valve cover hasn't been off in a while, get a new gasket set.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the help guys i really appreciate it. i checked valve springs look good valves were way off by 5 or 6 mm. it runs 200 percent better but it still has the knock everything looks fine so i guess its in the bottom end.it only knocks when under load like acceleration or revving thanks again appreciate the help

·
Registered
12 Posts
thanks for the help guys i really appreciate it. i checked valve springs look good valves were way off by 5 or 6 mm. it runs 200 percent better but it still has the knock everything looks fine so i guess its in the bottom end.it only knocks when under load like acceleration or revving thanks again appreciate the help
Kinda sounds like a rod bearing, could be a main though, either way, not a good thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts