Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have never been impressed with the heaters that came in these matchbox cars, and now that I'll be plowing with mine, I've decided to do a little upgrading. I've cleaned out the heater plenum of all the twigs and leaves that seem to find their way in there, and have even gone as far as adding the little scoop that LROR offers. Both of these made minor improvements, but I live at 6,000ft in Montana.......so I need some real heat.

I think the problem is that the blower fan simple can't push enough volume of air. So to combat this, I'm building an second plenum to mount under the dash that will only warm my tootsies while the factory system will be set on defrost. I found a small "radiator" core that is designed to cool computers. I'll tap into the heater hoses with a Tee and run that down to a box that holds the new core. I've mounted a 4in PC fan onto the core to help cabin air through the box and warmed by the heated core. Similar aftermarket systems can be had for $100 or more, yet I've built this myself for about $20. If needed for the rear passenger/cargo area, just run longer hoses. Pics to follow.....

I also added butt warmers to my seats. The factory charging system is pathetic, so I'm upgrading the alternator to a GM 100a system and adding a volt meter in place of the cig lighter on the radio box. With 3 additional 12v aux ports wired straight to the distribution box off the battery (fused), I should have no trouble staying warm while plowing this winter!

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
do you mean a pc radiator from a computer water cooling system?

Not a good idea, You need to be very very careful, those things are only designed to run at ambient pressure in a pc, not at 15 psi like an automotive system, you are likely to blow it apart the first time you start the car and it gets warm. They make them "look" like car radiators in some instances so the pc gamers have a "talking point", but rest assured, they are not automotive style. better off finding a normal heater core out of anything else from a wreckers and adapting that. (or a couple of feet of copper tube coiled up at a pinch)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting. Guess I'll try everything out prior to actual installation. If it blows, it'll be in box right above the drain holes in the floorboard. See? I'm thinking ahead!

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Interesting. Guess I'll try everything out prior to actual installation. If it blows, it'll be in box right above the drain holes in the floorboard. See? I'm thinking ahead!
yay, scalding hot water sprayed at gonad level, and a car stuck in the snow with no water in it so you can't run the engine to keep warm.

At least the cold will help cool the burns from the water, at least thats a bonus i suppose

(sorry, just had to add the sarcastic touch)

Yeah, i'd pressure test it first, bear in mind these things only get warm, (maybe 140F) not to the 200 F temps the cars experience either.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, to add sarcasm.......

it'll be mounted on the passenger side!

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts