Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am after some advice and suggestions from people running diesel swaps in their samurai's.

I have a 1.5 Toyota turbo diesel sitting in the shed along with an adapter plate etc to bolt to a samurai gearbox. I have been playing around with gear calculators and the problem I have is I don't know how to keep the gearing high enough to keep the diesel revving low enough and close to what it was designed. I would be happy if the diesel was doing 2800rpm at 100km/h (62mph) but with completely stock gearing (gearbox, transfer box and diffs) and with 30" tires (the size I would like to run) it will be just under 3000rpm at 100km/h.

Another problem I have is I would like to run a reduced transfer box (4.16 gears) for better low range off road but the small decrease in high range gearing (12% I think) means that the diesel will be running around 3300rpm at 100km/h

Does anyone have any ideas about how to keep the gearing high enough to keep the diesel revving low enough? What do the guys running 1.6 VW diesel do? Let them rev high? The only way I can get the gearing low enough is bigger tires, something I do not want to do.

A 1:1 high range transfer box ratio would be ideal!

Thanks for the help.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts