Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, Sammi Fans, here's a head-scratcher. I've owned 7 Zuks since 1999. Installed my first fuel pump in Year 2000 and have done 3 other since. No problems whatsoever. We always cary a spare pump and the proper tools, etc.

OK, so I needed to swap a fuel pump yesterday. I did everything just the way I have always done it, especially in checking for low cam for the push rod. Pump mates perfectly to block. I've pulled and reattached the pump 3 times and there are two problems:

1) Oil leak out of bottom of gasket, and
2) No gas to carb.

I have all three manuals and double checked them. Everything seems perfectly normal and, as I said, I'm doing nothing different than the four previously successful swaps. I've ordered another gasket and ti will be in tomorrow. In the meantime, I thought maybe somebody here could give me some insights into this. I am stumped and don't know what to do differently because the same procedures have always worked in the past.

Thanks for you help--your advice is MUCH Appreciated!

John Parsons, Idaho Falls. This particular Zuk is a bone stock '86 tintop.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Defective pump? It could happen.
Or they could have mistakenly sold you a return or "core" instead of a new or remanufactured pump. Those 2 problems you mentioned are, after all, the main reasons why you change them out in the first place.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, PiNky. I've been thinking along those lines. I bought this one from Autozone in Mach 2011 and have been carrying it in our 1988.5 Zuk. It just seems so weird unless it's just (bad) luck of the draw. Guess maybe I should buy another and see if it works.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Before you buy another, make sure your gas supply line is, uh, supplying gas. The supply line must not have any leaks (cracked hoses, missing or loose clamps) all the way back to the tank. It's hard for the pump to pull gas from the tank if even a small leak exists, as it easily pulls air into the line.
Also make sure the fuel filter is not clogged and it has no collapsed or pinched hoses.
An easy way to check if the problem is the pump is to disconnect the fuel supply hose and connect a piece of fuel hose to the pump inlet and stick the other end into a container with gasoline. Crank it and see if it pumps gas to the carb.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts