Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I need some help with my Zuk's front shaft behavior:

I recently bought two new hubs (AVM) and had them installed, since the old aisin ones were bad (one locked but the other was a mess and didn't do anything).

I just came from trying the Samurai in some sand and the 4WD works great but noticed that the front shaft kept rotating even in 2WD, and in Neutral. Both locking hubs are disengaged and whenever i accelerate i can see the front shaft rotate as if it still was locked.

The front axle has been with low lubricant since it leaks everything through the wheel ends (far ends of the front axle).

Someone knows what should i look for.

The car is going to have the front axle checked on a week but i need an insight on what could this be.

Thanks!

·
Registered
616 Posts
It could be something as simple as the viscous coupling of the hubs to the birfield shafts caused by over-lubrication of the new hubs.

...Which bring me to another point - Did you install or see the hubs get installed?

A common mistake in installing locking hubs is to over-grease the insides of the units - packing them full of axle grease.

Doing that creates two problems:

1. The extra grease reduces the amount of space the coupling mechanism has to work in.

B. Because the extra grease is so thick, it causes rotational motion to be transferred from the wheel to the birfield shafts - commonly called viscous coupling.

Admittedly, the viscous coupling is so weak that you can probably grab hold of the driveshaft and stop it's rotation if you could somehow reach for it. This makes it not a really big problem.

But the heavy packing of grease is not really helping things inside the locking hub.

The internal moving parts should only be lightly coated with a silicone grease to lubricate surfaces in contact with other surfaces AND to reduce corrosion should the hubs get immersed in water.

I hope you saved your Asin hubs. Nine time out of ten, they only need a good cleaning to get them back into service. Do a search for locking hubs at Ack's FAQ (see link in signature, below) to find a rebuilding guide.

I hope that this helps!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ack, sorry!!!!! i just found that i was looking to the wrong shaft!!!!!
The one on the transmission is always turning! then looked a bit further down and found the front axle shaft and worked flawlessly!

Thnks and sorry!!!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Ack, sorry!!!!! i just found that i was looking to the wrong shaft!!!!!
The one on the transmission is always turning! then looked a bit further down and found the front axle shaft and worked flawlessly!

Thnks and sorry!!!
No problem!

...And no need to be sorry!

I have, on occasion, been the Master of Ignorance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts