Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I have reviewed the manual and can't seem to find any good guidance regarding the replacement of the front crankshaft seal on the 1987 Samurai I just pruchsed. Can the front seal be replaced without removing the oil pump. I sincerely appreciate any assistance or reference material available. thanks

·
Super Moderator
12,089 Posts
The seal can be removed with the oil pump in place - essentially what you need to do is remove the timing belt, the timing belt pulley (which is held be either four or five bolts), the crankshaft bolt, and the crankshaft pulley - at that point you can reach and remove the seal - the easiest way would probably be to drive a couple of self tapping sheet metal screws into it and then pull with a pair of pliers. I know this sounds barbaric, but it works, you can also pick up something like the Lisle 58430 seal puller for about $15, that should do the trick.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Don't forget the torque figure on that front pulley when reassembling, its critical. Check the keyway while its off, any signs of wear, fix it NOW.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The seal can be removed with the oil pump in place - essentially what you need to do is remove the timing belt, the timing belt pulley (which is held be either four or five bolts), the crankshaft bolt, and the crankshaft pulley - at that point you can reach and remove the seal - the easiest way would probably be to drive a couple of self tapping sheet metal screws into it and then pull with a pair of pliers. I know this sounds barbaric, but it works, you can also pick up something like the Lisle 58430 seal puller for about $15, that should do the trick.
Great feedback, I've have the job completed. Went well without the dread of getting in too deep.Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't forget the torque figure on that front pulley when reassembling, its critical. Check the keyway while its off, any signs of wear, fix it NOW.
Thanks for the heads up! I've seen that the keyway can be an issue. Fortunately, mine looks great!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts