Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just driving to college today and the engine warning light came on. Its the image in the picture below labelled 'Caneda' except mine is red (not the parking break thing :p). Iv heard something about it coming on every so many miles? Is there a way to check? The only thing iv done to the car lately is changed oil a month ago and changed spark plugs and battery last weekend which the light didnt come on until now.
Quick replies would be appreciated. The car has done around 90,000 miles, cant tell you exactly as iv changed it from KMH so i will have to work it out when i get home.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Cant find it lol :( Looked all over. At one point i had me head in the footwells and my legs up in the seats! Are there different places they can be? Iv got a 1994 Samurai 1.3i, or whats written on it is a Jimny Sierre 1300, its got aircon too. Also the wiring looks a mess, are there supposed to be so many cables unplugged? The fusebox is near the accelerator pedal, the car is right hand drive too. Could it have been disconnected? Would it be easy to trace it back from where ever it goes? :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
After looking through my Haynes Manual i found out the only way to reset it is to take the negative off of the battery. But to be sure i popped a fuse in to see what the error code was, turned out to be 24 and according to my manual it says, Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) - A fault in the circuit should be indicated only when the vahicle is in motion. Check and repair the speedometer if it it functioning.

I changed the kmh speedometer ( NOT the whole instrument panel ) and the only difference was there were two extra bolts so it fitted. So any ideas people? I had driven the car about 30 miles maybe more before this happened.

Edit: Realised it wouldnt reset because of the 1Farad cap i put in for speakers lol.. its reset now

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reset it last night and came on again this morning. Not quite sure what to do now. Could the VSS sensor be stuck or something or are the ECU's set to either kmh or mph?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I don't know if it's in the same place on right hand drive models, but it's not an easy to find switch. It's up under one of the frame brackets that secure the bottom plastic shroud at the bottom of the dash, and you have to remove the plastic shroud to see it if you don't know exactly where it is. I know where mine is and can stick my hand under and feel for it. It's an open backed switch with 3 wires going to it from the instrument cluster. If it's the odometer warning that is being triggered then you can't reset it by disconnecting the battery. the switch must be toggled to the opposite position that it is currently in. Then the warning light will stay off untill the next mile marker is triggered and you flip the switch the other way.

as for the wiring... yeah it's a nightmare on all of the rigs... you can tidy it up some with some zip ties and electrical tape, or you can just not stick your head under there and pretend it doesn't exist....

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Bara. Any idea what i can do with the vss warning light? I know the mph speedo i put in the cluster didnt have the two extra screws the kmh one had so would it have one? I cant seem to see the reed switch in the kmh speedo but there is some kind of circuit so it may be hidden well. Would it be possible to take the switch out one and put into the other. Sorry for all questions and your replies and much appreciated

1 - 7 of 7 Posts