Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a samurai in need of an engine rebuild & i'm thinking about just swapping in something with more power I've heard of guys putting swift gti heads on 16v trackick motors & getting good power outta them but the areo/liana makes more power still & I've heard that the engine mounts & tranny mounts for the 2.3 areo/liana are the same as the ones for the 2.0 vitara so the 2.0 install kit would work but I'm not sure,, any one know for sure? I'm also considering a bit of sacrolidge possibly swapping in a Honda S2000 engine 240hp unmodified & there's tons of aftermarket tuner stuff for the Hondas I've heard of guys getting 600hp from an S2000 & still using it as a daily driver.. basicaly i wanna be able to easily smoke the tires & run at least 125 mph topped out, what engine do yall think i should go with, keeping in mind that my local junk yards have just about everything & i can fabricate prety much any tranny & engine mounts,, my curent 1st pick is the 2.3 areo/liana cause putting in a honda engine just seems wrong & it would be a ton of work cause everything would have to be custom built

·
Registered
212 Posts
Are you sure you want to go 125mph in a Samurai ?
If you do please tell me where you will be so I can watch but be well out of your way and the expected debris path. (only slight joke ! )
If you plan to take your Sami off road at all, rock crawling or trail running,
check out someone in your neighbourhood with the modifications you plan.
If you are desert running or sand racing, NOT daily driving, your plans might just work. (Again please let me know where you are running so I can bring a buddy and watch.)
Some will tell you that a leaf sprung Sami is not a good platform for what you propose. Some will tell you that a better choice is a coil sprung, longer wheelbase rig.
Again find someone near you to show you what modifications they have made and try to use that information as a guide or baseline.
Not saying don't do it, just plan well so that you survive that experiment.
Keep posting...many will be interested in what you end up doing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got one of my old sammys up to 90 & it was startin to get a bit scarry the front end started gettin really light ,, I figure 120 will probly bee the limit before the front end starts to lift,, if it gets to light in the nose I'll probably just install wheelie bars & a front splitter or wing like the rice racer guys use, but the wing & wheelie bar will come off for street use, the plan is for it to be a daily driver that can do light trails & isn't an embarrassment at the drag strip

·
Registered
9 Posts
S&S (formally S&J Engines) of Spokane, Wa. offers a 1.3 re-man long-block with an awesome warranty. Not a power upgrade but great mpg's and worth a look.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
If you are wanting to run trails, you will need some decent gears. But if you want to take that same vehicle over 100mph, then you will be living on the edge of destruction with RPM's.

The Stalker project would do light trails and some rocks. But also hit 103mph on the high speed test runs (gps verified). But to do that I constantly had the RPM's up around 6500 and it eventually twisted the crank key (woodruff key) from the torque (twice!).

To do what you want, I honestly suggest looking into going electric. Otherwise your gearing will be the showstopper.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
But don't they spin the crank backwards (opposite of the suzuki engines)? That is why the buggy builders would use them for mid or rear engine builds. They would mount them backwards.

·
Super Moderator
12,168 Posts
Most Honda engines spin "backwards", I'm told the S2000 engine spins the right way - this may have something to do with the S2000 being one of the few rear wheel drive Hondas.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hmm ,, I didn't know bout'm spinnin the wrong way I'll have to look n2 that , the guys at Trail Tuff have a honda powered buggy I'll have to give'm a call & find out,, but using a honda anything on a samurai just seams wrong especially since I'll be using the engine & trans'. I'm still thinkin my best bet will be the areo/liana 2.3 if it uses the same engine & trans' mounts as the 2.0 vitara that will definitely be what I'll go with but if not the honda will be the most likely candidate

1 - 9 of 9 Posts