Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around replacing my belt fan with an electric fan. The electric fan came from a Subaru with two speeds. The electrician installed two sensors in my hot radiator water hose which will operate the fan. He also installed a manual override inside the car to disable the fan if needed, or force it to the high speed mode, in case of an emergency.

The electric fan:

The fan relays:

Water temperature sensors:

The picture above shows the 100 Amp Delux alternator, which was later removed.

He also changed my alternator with a Toyota 60 Amp alternator. We tried installing a "Delux" alternator, a brand which he installs regularly on American cars, which produces 100 Amps, but the installation was not successful because the alternator produces too much voltage, up to 16 Volts DC, when the engine throttles. So he advised to go for a smaller one. I was very disappointed, but I can't argue with him he is the expert.

He also installed a pair of Hella lamps on my bull bar and replaced my head lamps with more powerful ones:

Hope this was interesting. All pictures were taken from my phone camera, so the quality is not the best I can get.

·
Registered
616 Posts
lights and fan

I'm impressed - both at the workmanship AND camera pics!

Did you also use the Suby fan shroud? Clean installation!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm impressed - both at the workmanship AND camera pics!

Did you also use the Suby fan shroud? Clean installation!
Yes; had to be slightly modified, but generally it was almost a perfect fit.

Thanks Ack, I'm happy I impressed a pro like you. I still haven't paid him, I'm not sure how much he's charging me :mellow: holding my wallet tight!

I also had him install an air compressor for me under the hood to inflate the tires and a big battery. No pics yet.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
wow that's really nicely done! Very professional install. Maybe he'll let you make scheduled payments on it. ;)
Sounds like you've done all the electrical stuff I've been wanting to do but never get around to doing. Next on my list of things you need to do that I'll never get around to.... An onboard welder! (might need a bigger alternator though)

·
Registered
201 Posts
that is fricken sweet!... quick question: what toyota did the alternator come from, and how much work went into putting it id (if you know)... was it a straight swap, little or lots of modifying?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for the kind compliments.

wow that's really nicely done! Very professional install. Maybe he'll let you make scheduled payments on it. ;)
Sounds like you've done all the electrical stuff I've been wanting to do but never get around to doing. Next on my list of things you need to do that I'll never get around to.... An onboard welder! (might need a bigger alternator though)
scheduled payments :rolleyes: ... not likely, I wish.

On-baord welder would be extremely handy, unfortunately I have zero welding experience :) But I believe you just need two batteries, you don't really need to upgrade the alternator. You need to connect them in series to get 24 volts.

that is fricken sweet!... quick question: what toyota did the alternator come from, and how much work went into putting it id (if you know)... was it a straight swap, little or lots of modifying?
Thanks Winecup. Not a straight install. It came from a Toyota HiLux, which you don't have in the US, but I'm sure you can find the same one in the four cylinder Tacoma (2.7L), because it's got the same engine as the HiLux.

Because the upper mount doesn't match the Samurai bracket, he fabricated a bracket to extend the original bracket and hold the alternator.
I'm not sure about the lower bracket, but I think it fitted straight.

·
Registered
201 Posts
im in aus, we have hiluxes everywhere. which engine did it come from?... hiluxes have like 3 or 4 different size engines...

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
you can weld with two batteries connected, but having AC current to weld with and an adjustable amperage is going to give you cleaner and more controlled welds and you can weld for more than a few minutes at a time... regardless... I don't weld either, but if I have my way about it, I plan on learning. For now I will dream of my onboard welder that some day I will have and make glorious things with!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts