Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i put on a new drive belt about a month ago and after a while it started to screech for a second when i turn on the engine. then after a few more days it would loosen up and screech very loud while driving in any gear and still screech but not as loud while just idling. every time I tighten the belt it would loosen up in a few days and start to screech again. I got a new drive belt, put that one on, three days later struck by the terrible screech while driving. I tightened the new one and has lasted one day so far but i think it will happen again.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
make sure to tighten the bottom bolts to the bracket as well. The top adjuster bolt shouldn't be holding it in place by itself, the bottom bolts holding it to the bracket should be tight and capable of holding the alternator in place.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
maybe im not tightening it enough? has to be as tight as i can get em?
i tried to pry it with a large socket wrench but maybe need something bigger...
will try again.
could it be something else?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
To check on Mof's suggestion about the possibility that it's the wrong belt, put some chalk on both of the sides of the belt in one spot. run it a couple revolutions and then see how the chalk has rubbed. If it's only rubbed a little at the top edge of each side, then you have too narrow a "V" on the belt. If it's only wearing on the bottom edge, then your "\_/" is too fat. The sides of the belt should both be making a nice even contact down the middle of the belt with the inside edge of the pulley.

The bottom bracket is not a single bolt like most vehicles I've owned. It has 2 bolts, one on the front and one on the back, make sure both are tight. Another thought, it may not be the belt squealing. If the belt was over tight then it could have burned out the bearings in the alternator or the water pump and that could cause the squealing.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
might be the wrong belt, its the one napa suggests for this truck.
the alternator bolts never came loose, the belt itself is stretching and getting loose. my alternator bolt is now at the very end where it cannot be tightened anymore because the belt stretching so much its now bigger than when i bought it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts