Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After almost three years with no lights in my gauges and several blown fuses I decided to invest some time and find a way to light it up without replacing the dimmer because it is hard or almost impossible to find.

So first you don't just plug a wire between the R/Y and the R/G cables because the R/G goes to another circuit (at least in the 88 model) and you'll blow a fuse, so take apart the dimmer connector and put the black wire directly to ground.

Then you'll have to remove the instrument panel to get access to the connector that carry the current to the dash lights, there you will find two connectors one larger than the other only the small one is of our interest.

There you'll find the R/Y and the R/G cables, take the R/G and cut it right were it comes out of the main harness and isolate the tap were you did the cut and in the other portion, the one that goes to the connector has to go to ground.

And there you go now you have dash lights again! For the heater and AC lights you have to do exactly the same, but this time you'll find a two line connector with the R/Y and R/G cables, cut again the R/G and connect the line that goes into the bulb to ground.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a question since I see you have a more indepth knowledge of the dimmer switch. I recently added a set of guages to my Zuki to look at instead of the idiot lights. I have the back-lights in the guages hooked up to the dimmer switch just like the lights in the regular dash. Turning the switch will brighten the lights in the dash...but at the same time the add-on guages get dimmer. Turning the switch back the other way the add-on guages get brighter and the dash lights get dimmer. Turn switch 1/2 way and both are lit the same but are to dim to see very well. I tried different connections on the switch with no results. Tried different ground on the add-ons all I did is blow fuses. Any trick to make them act the same? The wireing on these vehicles are .....how would you say it.....different.

GIZMO

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As far as I´m concern the R/Y cable that goes into the dimmer switch is a live line and the R/G is actually the line that carries the dimmer current so you can adjust the brightness of the instrument cluster, so cutting the R/G line and put the remaining to ground will provide full brightness.

If you have both the instrument cluster and the after market gauges connected to the dimmer and one gets dimmed and the other brighter I bet you have wired it backwards, try to connect the live line of the gauges to the R/Y cable and the ground cable of the gauges to the R/G and see what happens.

keep me posted!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts