Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just got my first samurai, (ive been driving jeeps for 10 years)
88 1.3 carbed.

Anyways about what rpm do you guys shift and cruise at?

I was pulling 3000 rpms going 50mph, it just feels weird to me to cruise above 3K.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi I have a samurai 1987 and I rebuild my engine but everything is stock and makes 45m/h at 2200-2300 rpm and is making 22 miles/gallon ,(not so good) I being tell that you can get like 30M/G,this is a small engine so the rpm it will go higer than a bigger engine

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know it's strange to drive a vehicle that revs so high just driving down the highway, but that's normal for the Sami. If you hit around 70 mph you'll see the rpm's come close to 4000. Gas mileage, I get between 20 and 22. I don't think 30 is possible; for the amount of horses it has, it is heavy, it's got all the 4WD stuff, and it's just not designed to be a fuel-efficient engine. But I can tell you that the exhaust system and air intake system are limiting factors to performance. The cat has lots of backpressure and they are known to clog. Freeing up the exhaust system and enlarging the exhaust pipe diameter will help with power and gas mileage. A different air intake system will help a bit, too. The 3 most significant improvements I've made to my 88 Sami to gain horses and acceleration (quite noticeable) are: (1) 2" exhaust pipes, straight-thru muffler, and high-flow cat, (2) Bosch platinum spark plugs, and (3) an Accel high output coil.:D

·
Registered
201 Posts
to gain horses and acceleration (quite noticeable) are: (1) 2" exhaust pipes, straight-thru muffler, and high-flow cat, (2) Bosch platinum spark plugs, and (3) an Accel high output coil.:D

a header helps as well. but honestly i think the addition of the 2 in exhaust was the best bang for the buck

(oh and BTW i don't have a cat, not by my design - was missing when i got my sami)

·
Registered
201 Posts
i guess i could answer the original question

at 65 i am over around 4K rpms

my truck
90 Samurai
3 in lift (Sprung under axle)
header, no cat
hot spark ignition

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mule,
As for the difference in rpm's between vehicles, might depend on tire sizes we're each using. Off the top of my head I don't know what mine are, but they are bigger than stock... I bought the Sami that way. I do know that I'm actually moving about 3 mph faster than the speedometer reads. Also, I didn't want to admit it, but I'm not running a cat -- would you believe it just fell off??????? Anyway, with no cat, 2" pipe from header to rear, and a Cherry Bomb muffler, it's straight through. The only bad thing is that it is too loud. At highway speeds it's deafening!;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi I Have Spark Plug Ngk Iridum And I Upgrade The Ignition Coil To The One That Cames On The 1995 Suzuki Swift 1.3 And Is Working Exelent But I Only Get 22 Miles /galons And Believe It Or Not My Samurai Get To 80 Easy (i Rebuild The Engine And It Have Now 1200 Miles ) So Is Like New ,the Exest System Is The Factory One ,

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi Mule
Do You Think That If I Put A 2 Inches Pipe Wider That The Factory One Will Increase The Performance Of The Engine ,and The Sound Is To Laud?
Thanks For Your Replay On The Leaf

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hi Mule
Do You Think That If I Put A 2 Inches Pipe Wider That The Factory One Will Increase The Performance Of The Engine ,and The Sound Is To Laud?
Thanks For Your Replay On The Leaf
i think it is a general rule, if you have to replace a stock exhaust, go at least one size larger. i forgot to mention that i also have a flowmaster 40 series muffler - and yeah it is loud. but i love the little samurai, its loud, has little to know creature comforts - very spartan --> and that is why i love mine.

·
Registered
52 Posts
hi
i dunno what speed i am on my jimny because i'm not running stock tires but does that affect the speedometer?? i have size 33 tires.....
i'm also running on a low gear ratio....so i think i'm doing 50-60kph on 3500-4000 RPM...
can anyone tell me where i can find a higher gear ratio....its really killing my mileage...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Go back to the basics- stock plugs with the smallest permissible gap, correct timing, 2" exhaust system, freeflow mufflers ( not the glasspacks, will give you a big headache). I use a Simota air cleaner, cleaned out carb ( no pollution control devices), vitara ring/pinion gears ( 5.12) on 32" dueler MTs. Using 33-35" tires will bring performance to near stock levels ( as if on 195x15 tires with stock gearing)

If you are after low cruising speed with max economy, use Toyota 3k carbs, stock gearing, & 205/70/15 tires.

·
Registered
52 Posts
i dunno what ring and pinion i'm using but i'm pretty sure its not stock...
my gears are pretty low.....the ones for rock crawling

·
Registered
9 Posts
you're probably running 4.8's or 5.12's. Suggest using a lwb Samurai tranfer case with a 2.25:1 ratio to improve highway performance( but no more supercrawling). A 2 stroke Jimny transfer case has a 3:1 ratio w/c is good for trails, coupled with low gear diffs it would turn into a crawler.

·
Registered
52 Posts
i just got beaten by a multicab today.....
i was so embarassed he was just toying with me.....huhuhuhu
one thing i would really want to change is my rims....the beadlocks are really heavy and i'm not going to trails often anymore...
so can you suggest a rim for me....preferably one that is lightweight and looks good

·
Registered
8 Posts
In my 91 zuk with the 1.3 FI i shift between 3-6k rmps every shift. If you really wanna scare yourself take it to the rev limiter ever shift in 3rd gear you'll be doing some where around 100-110 kph. have fun!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts