Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Wondered what my options were for carpeting my samurai.

Can't seem to find a sammy in a salvage yard. However, I've located a couple of trackicks w/ good interiors.

Would the mold for the trackicks would fit up with the sammy? Even with minor modifications?
Any other donor vehicles that may have the same fit?

Just not ready to plunk down $300+ for carpeting yet. What are some other cheaper options?

Thanks!:)

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
buy a roll of automobile carpeting from the autozone and cut your own,
buy a roll of foam pad insulation from home depot and cut your own,
cut a sheet of plywood and make a wooden floorboard,
Roll on / spray on bedliner,

·
Registered
182 Posts
You can buy a rattle can of spray adhesive. Maybe that could help hold it in place on the hump, unless you're only doing flat surfaces. I went to Lowe's and bought indoor/outdoor carpet for .19 SF, I think I bought a 6' long section and carpeted mine that way. But if you don't screw it down like the factory carpet was, the piece in the back will start to flap around and want to fly out with the top off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bought carpeting, not molding

I bought unmolded carpeting for the car. Tried to mold it using a heat gun. Man its a mess. NOTHING is molding or fitting. :eek:Its some pretty cheap thin stuff, but I thought I could at least mold it a little...

·
Registered
182 Posts
I did see a place online somewhere that sold replacement Samurai molded carpets. I'm sure it wasn't cheap though. If you don't mind spending the money you can probably google it and find someone who sells them or just stick to carpeting the horizontal stuff.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
most auto carpeting is synthetic fiber and it will melt the pile before it will hold a shape. You would need really heavy duty backing to form it with a heatgun and even then you wouldn't be able to stretch it into the propper form without cutting it right.

Like WrenchWoman said, use spray adhesive to help form it and hold it in place. You still need to cut the stuff though to make the forms over the humps and down into the wells. Build it in sections on the parts with tricky geometry. The transmission tunnel should be 3 pieces, the top, the left and the right side piece it together and seam it allong those edges. Just use some mighty mendit or some silicon sealant to glue the back side of the seams together, and when its cured you can use a brush to blend the pile over the seam on the front side so you can't see it. Cut the front foot pannels as seperate pieces and the bed and back foot pannels as one piece. You can attach them to the tunnel piece or leave it seperate, but make sure they're all glued down with spray adhesive. Pull the seats out so that the back foot pannels can come all the way under the seat. It will also help you do a better job on the tunnel between the seats.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I doubt it. Maybe something from a similar truck would come close but would probably still need some adjustments or cuts since it's not exactly shaped or sized like the Samurai.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I see LowRangeoffroad.com has lots of junked Sami's. Maybe give them a call and see if they have a decent carpet in one that isn't totally shot? I'm not sure if you're looking for function, or looks, or both so you might not get a pretty one from a junkyard.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
you could use a ratty one to make a pattern for a new one though. Cut slits in the corners so it lays flat and then trace it on a new roll.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts