Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have built a custom front and rear bumper for my samurai and wanted to use LED lights. The brake lights and running lights work, but the problem I am having is when I turn the blinkers on all the hazards come on and start flashing. Any one have any ideas?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
the flashers opperate based on bulb resistance. If the flasher does not see the equivelant resistance of two functioning bulbs then it won't flash correctly. Some flashers will flash the good bulb twice as fast, other flashers will just stop flashing if they don't see the correct resistance from the bulbs. LED's have a much lower resistance than normal incandescent bulbs. The lower resistance could be screwing up your flashers and causing the glitch. (Just my theory/guess) If you add a resistor in-line to give the correct resistance signal to the flashers it may clear up the problem.

Turn sugnal Flasher Unit

here's a bunch of info on testing the flashers

·
Registered
616 Posts
LED lights and comination tail lamps

As Bratacus explained, LED lamps present a low current to the common turn flasher realay making it cycle fast. Here is an article that explains the problem and how to sucessfully install LEDs on your truck:

Simple LED Turn Signal Mod - Zukikrawlers

Your Suzuki will not accept combination tail lamps (the ones with double-filiament bulbs where turn and stop signals use a common filament) with it's flasher circuit.

Many try with some (but not always) success to solve the problem using trailer conversion units to combine the separate Suzuki turn and stop circuits into one circuit). Often the result of this fix is emergency flasher problems.

The BEST way to guarantee proper tail lamp operation is to use separate lamps for all circuits in conjunction with LEDs and a flasher unit specifically designed for LED lamp fixtures.

I hope that this helps!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I ended up switching to regular bulbs I had sittin around after I had to completly rewire from the harness. All the wires had got to close to the exaust manifold and melted all together. I guess the lights had been messing up before i tried to mount the new bumper I just didn't realize it. Thanks again for the help

1 - 4 of 4 Posts