Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys I have a particular "problem" with my alternator GM swap that I had for some time and is when I start the engine and disconnect the battery the idle goes up about 100rpms if I reconnect the positive cable the idle drops almost like the is a "load" somewhere only there is nothing On can you guy tell me what might be the issue here

·
Super Moderator
17,869 Posts
The "load" and engine RPM drop is caused by the alternator, needing to apply current to either the battery and / or any number of lights, ignition, accessories / circuits that are energized at that time.

To better evaluate what is happening, you need to monitor battery voltage with the engine off and then running. That will help you better evaluate what is going on.

It is possible that the battery is bad, you have system shorts, undisclosed current draws or the RPM drop is simply normal.

Does your engine employ a compensating RPM sensing Idle Speed Control circuit? It may be faulty.

Also, it is not a good idea to run the engine without the battery connected. You can spike and ruin the alternator (regulator circuit side) and cause havoc with any computer interface.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts