Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a samurai I bought new in 2000, assembled in Spain. The wiring to the warning light panel got screwed up when installing a radio. The blue hi beams light stays always lit even when the key is off & it empties the battery in a couple days. Is there an easy way to access the rear of this panel ? With my head on the pedals lying on my back it is impossible to get my hand on the plug pins or to determine the color of the wiring to the blue light.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Does your interior light still work ?
If I remember correctly if the interior light circuit fuse blows, when you open the door the high beam light will come on.
Where in the world are you, we never had the Samurai after 1996 here.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, the interior light still works. The problem is not inherent to the car - it was caused by me cutting the wrong wires during the radio installation. Problem is that there's no room for my head under the dash to see what's wrong; thus the need to see the back of the panel to identify the wires & fix what i did wrong.
I live in the suth of France about 50 Kms from Montpellier.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the schematic but it is indeed out of date, and I don't need to disassemble the panel; I just need to access the plugs on the back of it to identify which wiring goes to the high beam light and to re-connect the wiring properly.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
The pic was only to get the clocks out as I don't think you will find room to do anything from underneath ;).

I've been doing some searching and I think you must have a SJ419, a diesel engined version that the Santana factory in Spain built in the late 90's.
Found a photo, lovely dash compared to mine.
This appears to have the same dash as the coil sprung samurai (not sure where that was built).
I have a workshop manual for the coil sprung version,so have put this together from what info I can find.
It says to remove meter cover (4 screws), but doesn't show where they are.
The parts diagram hopefully helps with that.
Please be aware the wiring diagram is from the coil sprung version workshop manual and may not be the same as the SJ419 (assuming I'm correct about you having that :huh:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you so much for your help. Your photo is exactly the same as my car; even the body & dashboard colors + upholstery. The engine however is a 1300 cc gasoline unit. As you correctly surmised it has leaf suspension rather than coil. The diagrams & blowups you sent wil surely be useful but I need to do a little cross checking now in the garage.
From notes in my file (without going out in the rain to check it) info on the metal plate on the right (passenger) wall below the dashboard apparently reads :

Santana Motor S.A.
E9 - 96/27-0023
VSESJS00CNA214709

I'll be back after I've compared what you sent with the car.
Thanks again

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your schematics and instructions were perfect. There was only one tiny difference regarding the location of one of the crews holding the meter cover & I found it right away. After a minimum of the usual fiddling getting round obstacles like the emergency light flasher button I got everything detached. I don't know how to disconnect a speedometer but it wasn't necessary. With the combination meter released I have access to the back of the panel so I'll be able to trace the wiring by color. In the meantime I've just removed the light bulb for the high beams blue light so I won't be discharging my battery. Your help is really appreciated.
Thank you very much

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do after all have one remmaining problem. To trace the wiring properly I need better access to the left side electrical multi-pin connector on the back of the combination meter, which is not very visible with the speedometer connected. Looks like I need to detach the speedometer after all. Does it just unscrew or is there a trick to it.? I've tried unscrewing it but at a certain point there's a lot of resistance and I'm afraid of breaking something; I haven't tried using a pair of pliers yet. Thanks in advance for your help and patience.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
I couldn't find a photo of the genuine cable, I've posted what came up on "Google" for the part number.
These are push on and require the arm pressing down, I do know some plastic connection type ones require only pulling.

If not plastic,some Samurai have a metal push on fitting and some screw on.
The screw on type have a knurled ring (dull aluminium) and the push on shiny plated steel.

Not the best of descriptions, but I hope you can work it out ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts